Activations - Catch 22

Boyd

OK. So here's a small problem we've run into.
I'm in a league that uses the RFE Weather plugin. Apparently (and I stand corrected), it only works properly with the 1255f executable.

My teammate has been using the DVD version of rFactor for yonks. Now that DVD is, well, its poked.

I originally assumed he could just reinstall rflite and reactivate, but it's not possible since the DVD "activation" is not transferrable to a TryMedia downloaded edition.

If he purchases and downloads the 1255c version (I believe the current download for ISI to do the licencing), then we're using a different executable (to 1255f) that RFE has a problem with.

So the question is: how would we go about activating a 1255f version of rFactor? (I assume that would be the Trymedia version) The download we have.
Would Trymedia still be able to process activations for this previous "version"?

Or is it possbile that the RFE plugin will work with 1255c? To be honest I haven't tested 1255c with RFE myself yet, I merely heard it doesn't work properly.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Quick follow up. Does anyone have any advice on a workaround for this? Maybe the gents from ISI? Tim, Max, Gjon, anyone really.

Just to add, my teammate who has this issue has no objections to re-purchasing rFactor, that would mean effectively acquiring an activation for 1255c. But at the end of the day we do need 1255f to be the running exe because of the leagues RFE Weather plugin requirement.

If we install from scratch 1255f is there anyway that it would be able to be activated?

All thoughts and proposals would be most welcome. It's getting rather desparate, so open to any suggestions.

We've been told there's no difference between 1255f to 1255c in the files or coding. The difference is in the exe and how it reads or finds the license file.
In this the RFE plug-in should work the same in either install.

There has been complaints about the 1255c exe not having the Buy car or the career mode.
I have discovered just the other day the my install in the correct install path which is C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/rFactor for Win7 64 bit works fine on both these counts.

On the other hand I have 4 further installs outside this path at C:/AllrFactors/<FileName>/rFactor. All these installs fail to have buy cars. You basically own them all and no career mode.

In short, Install it to the correct path.

Activation, If you have purchased the DVD it would still need to be digitally activated using a code number that came with the disc.
Contact ISI support with this information and you should get a new activation code for the new exe.

Thanks for the reply D.Painter.

To recap, we have a requirement to purchase, activate, run 1255f for the purposes of league racing with the RFE plugin

I understand, from what Noel Hibbard has posted in other threads, the RFE plugin reads specific memory addresses and that is why 1255c is different to 1255f, and why the RFE Plugin only supports 1255f. From feedback I have heard, RFE does not work in 1255c, or does not work properly. The guys at RFE themselves were not even aware of the change to 1255c until someone brought it to there attention. Apparently they have spoken to ISI, but understandably there is not much ISI can do in support of RFE, RFE would have to update the plugin to be 1255c compatible. Which isn't going to happen overnight I guess.

With regards your feedback about installing to the correct path, it shouldn't be an issue for us where we install it. We have no requirement to buy cars or career mode. We only do league racing, with custom rF1 mods and the RFE plugin.

My other concern about 1255c is with regards the various threads and posts I have seen regarding FFB issues? It is a risk to jump into 1255c with "dodgy" (not my words) FFB at the start of the league season and end up doing the whole season (18 events - 9 months) with this issue.

But having said that, if as you claim the coding and files are the same, then these FFB and buy car or career mode issues should not exist. But they do .... which makes me believe they are not exactly the same.

So, for our peace of mind, my teammate would like to purchase "a version" of rFactor, install 1255f and somehow get it activated. bear in mind he curerntly has the DVD version without Trymedia activation, so it cannot be "re-activated". Or do I have that wrong?

But having said that, if as you claim the coding and files are the same, then these FFB and buy car or career mode issues should not exist. But they do .... which makes me believe they are not exactly the same.

It wasn't my claim, This was stated by a ISI member that nothing had changed. Though the experience people are receiving is saying otherwise.

It's hard to understand why this has happen when all that needed changing was the license coding.

Don't know how your going to get a 1255f activation now. Best of luck with it all.

Apologies, I didn't mean it that way, more like "as you say they have claimed...".

A new 1255f activation is going to be nigh on impossible, and ISI aren't able (or willing I guess) to provide any answers on possible workarounds, even though we're prepared to re-purchase the licence.

I suspect there will be quite a few people left in the lurch, who purchase a new ISI licensed 1255c and are unable to use it in leagues implementing RFE. Let's hope that symracing.net bring out RFE 2.0 sooner rather than later. Although they have also stated it is not really a priority .... :(

Last edited:
There has been complaints about the 1255c exe not having the Buy car or the career mode.
I have discovered just the other day the my install in the correct install path which is C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/rFactor for Win7 64 bit works fine on both these counts.

On the other hand I have 4 further installs outside this path at C:/AllrFactors/<FileName>/rFactor. All these installs fail to have buy cars. You basically own them all and no career mode.

In short, Install it to the correct path..

Sadly I have a totally vanilla install and no career mode / buy cars for me - plus it keeps giving me heaps of cash every time I load the game - or change the type of season etc (overwriting the default start funds etc). Anything else about that particular install - eg command line switches at start up - or mods - that might make it behave "as normally expected"?

p

Last edited:

Back