adding content to RF1

GregT

Ok. So i broke down and got rf1. Now, it works ok, but i can't find the folder in my docs for rf1. Is it NOT like rf2? how do i install new cars/tracks to RF? found them after downloading them but can't seem to get the new stuff into the game. Trying to get '70 trans am into RF1. Any help? thanks in advance. Also, is there a VIR track available for 1 or 2?, (viginia int. raceway)

The rF game forlder is where you installed it:) If you can't remember, just right click on rF icon and choose 'properties'. A window will open and you will be able to see full path to game's folder.

As for new content, usually you just need unzip archive file and copy/move all folders/files to the rFactor base dir.

VIR track is available for rF1, and you can find it for example on drivingitalia website (registration needed for downloads):
http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=443

Thanks for your reply. I did find the folder Rfactor, below it is Rfactor2 in my program files. With rf2, i put all my downloaded content into the packages folder and launch the game, manage mods, right click, install and drive. with rfactor, do i copy all downloaded files into a particular folder or just the one in my program files x86 rfactor folder labeled rfactor? will they end up in the right place or will the whole thing stop working. The later is the reason i am hesitant to start moving files and folders around experimenting cause i need to race and am not willing to crash the whole system. is there a tutorial for rf1? thanks again for your patience and help. I will persevere.

In rf1, you just download a mod (car) or track and copy files into rfactor folder.
Typically a mod (cars) will contain several folders like GameData, rFm, Music and maybe some more. Just put them directly in main rfactor folder.

Imo there was nothing wrong with this rf1 system and is actually better than rf2.

Disagree :)
rf2 system adds complexity without solving rf1's problem, the mismatches. But it's possible to get used to every system if one wants..

I guess my real problem is that in rf2, i download a mod/track put it in my packages folder in my docs, run the manage mods, right click and install. with rf1, i must open my computer, c drive, find the program files x86, open it, find rf folder, then, i thought i needed to sort the downloaded files to different folders no? i put a downloaded version of vir in the rfactor folder and it was not in the game so i went back and opened everything again and it was not there at all. so very confusing for a beginner. i love the sim but also, i am not that good so i have only been online a couple times but aspire to join a beginner league. back in 2003 i went to a rookie school for nascar 2003 season and was hooked but work was a problem. retired now @ 61 and want to get back into some racing. thanks to all who are willing to help me figure this out. i am trying to get a downloaded version of 67 trans am to work in rf1. any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

gt.

Ok, so, i go to rfactor central, go pro, get the one click download and bingo, nothing in my rfactor folder showing what i just d/l & installed. opened my computer drive c/program files/x-86 and there is my rfactor file folder. below it is a folder marked rfactorracing, it has all the content i just d/l. how do i get it into my game to select a car/track? i copied it all into my rfactor folder and it crashed. uninstalled and reinstalled, same, only stock content available except in a folder marked rfactorracing..... i just cant' seem to get all the correct stuff in the correct folder to see it in the game. this should be the easy stuff, no? thanks for all the help.

Would you allow to join your computer with "TeamViewer"?

I think that would be the easiest way to see what can help you now and in future, to get rf1 content into the game ;).

Best routine is to check what the folder structure is like in the downloaded file, if its a zip you can semi-open it to have a peek or just unzip to a temp folder.
if its an exe you can also install in a temp folder.

Now you can see how the files and folders are distributed into rf1.
They 'should' point and install into the main rf1 folder but often enough mods and tracks are zipped wrong and then they go into the wrong folder if you just unzip into root, making rf1 not recognize it.
(for example Xmod's.zip is pointed to Xmod/Gamedata it will create a new folder in rf1 called Xmod and distribute its files wrongly)

By unzipping into a temp folder you can just manually copy paste every single folder/file into rf1 yourself because then you know sounds actually go into sounds, vehicles into vehicles, etc.

Its a pain yes, but not that hard once you get the logic behind it. just the initial figuring out that's confusing :)

Using the same routine you can also remove mods this way. important to do that when things don't work as wrongly placed files and cluttered files can influence rf1 down the road.

Back