Model: HP workstation XW4600

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

Ram: 8 GB DDR2

Hard drive: 160GB

Optical: DVD Drive

Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro Fx1500 Dual Display

Programs: Windows 7 Professional

475w power supply

I was thinking a new graphic card like GTX 560 Ti to use if i can, with that in mind - would i be able to run rf2 on meduim/full settings with a steady frame rate of at least 30 frames ?

thanks

I think 1680 resolution medium quality + some full would be the sweet spot.

Depends on resolution, AA, grids
If you willing to sacrifice a bit from each I do not think you will have much trouble

I ran a single GTX460 superoverclock with 4.5GHz Sandy, used high settings less bloom, etc. and got 40+ minimum with Spa "oldies"

If you got a fast GTX560Ti like OC model you would make up a bit on me and lose a bit with Duo
actually if you check tests like say 1680 medium res no AA they are not that much slower then a stock 2500K in games but get well beat in almost everything else worth note.

I be worried about the Power Supply you want a solid 12volt rail with proper 6pin connector.

Not saying you cant get away with that PSU but you want to check the sticker and/or specs on website before you commit.

Hi DurgeDriven
thank you for advice, im not 100% sure of what power supply it is as i dont own that system, but have seen one for sale for just under £200, here are the auctul full details of it:

Source of Information : The HP Website

Processor

Processor family
Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache 12 MB
Processor front side bus 1333 MHz
Processor Model Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz
Chipset Intel® X38 Express
Number of processors installed 1 pcs
Processor Clock Speed 3.00 GHz

Disk drive
Hard disk controller
Integrated 6 channel SATA 3 Gb/s NCQ controller with RAID capability, optional 4 channel SAS controller with RAID capability
Hard disk rotational speed 7200 - 15000 RPM

Video

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500
Audio
Audio System
Integrated High Definition audio with Jack Retasking capability, optional PCI Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Memory

Memory Clock Speed

800 MHz
Memory layout 4x 2048 MB

ECC Y
Maximum internal memory 8 GB
Memory slots 4 DIMM
Memory upgrade 8 GB
Internal memory type DDR2
Internal memory 8GB

Connectivity
I/O ports
Front: headphone, microphone, 2 USB 2.0 and 1 optional IEEE 1394A; Rear: 7 USB 2.0, 1 external SATA, 1 standard serial port, 1 parallel port, 2 PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 1 RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN, audio In, audio Out, microphone; 2 USB 2.0 (internal)
Networking
Networking features
Integrated Broadcom 5755 Netxtreme Gigabit PCIe LAN, optional Broadcom 5751 Netxtreme Gigabit PCIe
Optical Drive
Optical drive type
DVD-ROM
Keyboard
Keyboard type
HP Standard (USB, PS/2)

Connectivity
VGA (D-Sub) ports quantity
Microphone, line-in jack Y
Speaker/ headphone/ line-out jack 1

Ethernet LAN (RJ-45) ports quantity 1
USB 2.0 ports quantity 9
PS/2 ports quantity 2
Serial ports quantity 1
Parallel ports quantity 1
Weight & dimensions
Weight
19000 g
Dimensions W x D x H 16.8 x 45.6 x 45.0 cm mm

Power supply 475 W

or maybe if this system was not that great, would something like this be better:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ
ATI HD 5570, 1GB, DVI, VGA and HDMI out
3 GB DDR2 System Ram
500 GB Hard Drive
Dual Layer DVD R/W Drive
On Board Network 10/100/1000
On Board HD surround Sound Card
Multi card reader
6 USB ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
1 Firewire
1 E-Sata port
550W PSU
Windows Vista Home premium

this pc costs £240.00, what one would you recommend ? (i only have been looking @ these pc's as they seem like a good price, plus i only have £250.00, also are Xeon dual core pc any good for racing sims ?

thanks again.

Hi DurgeDriven
thank you for advice, im not 100% sure of what power supply it is as i dont own that system, but have seen one for sale for just under £200, here are the auctul full details of it:
this pc costs £240.00, what one would you recommend ? (i only have been looking @ these pc's as they seem like a good price, plus i only have £250.00, also are Xeon dual core pc any good for racing sims ?

thanks again.

Well I very much doubt the Power Supply will be sufficient for a GTX560Ti

As is the 3D power would not pull the skin off a rice pudding so you will not be able to run any sim
let alone rFactor2 till you get the new video card and most likely power supply.

I am reticent to give you any advice past save some more money and find someone with
good knowledge and no motives to build you one.

Like I said if ...IF... the power supply and case support the GTX560Ti
it would most likely be okay ie: till you upgrade to new tower that is ?

Like if the GTX560Ti is the only upgrade you think you doing I do not think it is worth it.

Simply because you will loss a big part of the perfomance from it using a slower Processor
thus drastically lowering the bang for buck factor.

P.S. I not sure ....if you have the money for the GTX560Ti plus that tower I would buy something like this ( £220.00 ) and a GTX560Ti and put it all in the cupboard and look at the boxes, I have done this. :p

Then do whatever you have to buy the Processor and Motherboard, you tend to waste less money on other "stuff" and save a bit more.
That way you can also change your mind on AMD or Intel as the memory will work on either.

Patience Grasshopper ;)

View attachment 1738

Last edited:

Back