AI tire selection and the Softness parameter

palindnilap

I have never been able to make the AI use another tire compound at the start of the race than the first one listed in the tire .tbc file. When they pit, they seem to choose the one I specified in their specific setup file, but at the start of the race they always have the first one listed.

To be sure of that, I set the AIGripMult to a low value like 0.1, and sure, the AI then can't even get off the start line, but only if I update the first coumpound.

I have read elsewhere that the AI used the Softness parameter for deciding which compound to use. This would make sense, but it doesn't seem to work. I have set the Softness parameter of the first compound to extreme values like 1e10 or 1e-10, and it is still the compound that the AI uses. Maybe there is another parameter that needs to be set in order to have the Softness parameter work.

So, did anybody manage either
- Having the AI use another compound than the first one listed in the .tbc file ?
- Having the Softness parameter actually do anything ?

- Having the AI use another compound than the first one listed in the .tbc file ?
- Having the Softness parameter actually do anything ?

Ai uses compound that is specified in the .HDV under [GENERAL]
FrontTireCompoundSetting=0
RearTireCompoundSetting=0

0 is the first one of the compounds,
1 is the second!

As far as I know, AI uses always this compound and this can´t be changed inGame, only via setting in .HDV.

Never got what "softness" actually do. But in the end I never needed to.

Ai uses compound that is specified in the .HDV under [GENERAL]
FrontTireCompoundSetting=0
RearTireCompoundSetting=0

0 is the first one of the compounds,
1 is the second!

As far as I know, AI uses always this compound and this can´t be changed inGame, only via setting in .HDV.

This would make sense, but it didn't do it in my case. I am using the F1SR 91 HE mod, all cars have FrontTireCompoundSetting and ReartTireCompoundSetting set to 3, and the first compound is used. I tested both a low AIGripMult at the rear (cars spin off the line) and a high AIWear at the rear (cars start to spin a little later in the lap). I thought it might be due to having a specific track setup (trackname.svm in the vehicle folder), but I also tested it for a track without a setup and it did the same.

My guess is that both the hdv settings and the trackname.svm settings are used once the AI pit, but not at the start of the race. Or maybe there is another hidden parameter that makes it behave either your way, either my way.

Never got what "softness" actually do. But in the end I never needed to.

Well it would be nice if the AI could somehow "guess" the best compound to use, at least for unscheduled pit stops, but I'd guess it was never implemented.

Well it would be nice if the AI could somehow "guess" the best compound to use, at least for unscheduled pit stops, but I'd guess it was never implemented.

Right. Not implemented. Not even in rF2.

For the tyre compound: That might be true what you said. Can´t remember in detail.... but there is dawning something...

For the tyre compound: That might be true what you said. Can´t remember in detail.... but there is dawning something...

OK, I found a workaround : Having a .tbc file for each compound, starting with the said compound with a different name (e.g. "soft default"), and then having all the compounds normally listed - so that the player will still be able to choose any compound, and so that the saved setups will not jump from compound to compound when changing the .tbc file.
Then setting an "Tyre setup" upgrade type, with an upgrade for each compound. Finally, one can specify a compound for each car in the TrackConfigsBase.ini.

This is a bit of a pain, and would be quite impractical if there were 10 tyre manufacturers with 10 compounds each. But at least it seems to work.

As for having the AI use a different compound for qualifying, this is probably too much to ask for. I can live with using the race compound in qualifying.

Where do you find the tyre compound tbc files?

I suppose it depends on the mod and could be in any subpath of the .hdv car file, which itself could be in any subdirectory of the GameData/Vehicles directory.

Back