Annoying appcrash d3d9.dll

xoa

Hi there,

my rfactor mod crashes constantly, most time with the Fault Module Name: D3D9.DLL, sometimes rfactor.exe itself. But this happens only when playing with other cars. Lets say - I'm driving on track with other cars, all runs smooth and then suddenly - APPCRASH. Sometimes don't.

There are no errors in the trace file, so now I don't know what could cause this annoying problem. No plugins are installed. :?:
I've tried without +fullproc, windowed mode, XP-Mode but still the same problem.

A friend of mine thought the problem could be caused by wrong LOD-Levels or something similar. Is this confirmed?

I hope somebody has an advise. :-(

Thanks ;-)

Last edited:
Try executing DXSETUP.exe, located in Support/DirectX/Install folder, to see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply, but it didn't helped :(

What would happen if LODs are not overlapping properly?

I still get this crashes. Now two times when I drove down the start/finish straight at the pitlane. FPS sunk down a bit and then d3d9.dll crashed.

EDIT: Tried again many different settings/patches and still the same, but it always crashed near the pitlane at the start/finish straight.

Last edited:
do you use some plugin for telemetry dates on video while you're racing?

No, I also cleaned the plugins folder (i never had installed a telemetry plugin).

Try running the Diagnostic DirectX tool (not sure is the right name, i have the italian version of my OS).

Programs--->Accessories--->System Utilities--->Microsoft System Information

then click the Instruments menu and you will find the DirectX diagnostic.

Run the tests, especially the DirectX file test.

Or, try updating the DirectX
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Isn't that d3d9.dll used by the MotecAdd plugin? Try removing it and see if that helps.

check if you are using an application type ? EVGA Precision
the same happened to me

Ok, thanks for your replies. I've tried all your tips and hints, but its still crashing.
(tried DX8, installed again DX, other settings and so on)

I've tried once more four times, and got four times crash.

1. Fault Module Name: StackHash_ee71 (1st time I got this)
2. Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
3. Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
3. Fault Module Name: D3D9.DLL

Now, as we are talking about a personal mod, can a mod cause such problems (crasing the d3d9.dll)? The mod includes a lot of very different cars with a lot of Classes. Again, in singleplayer mode its fine, but its crashing wehen driving with other cars on track. I'm getting mad with this d3d9.dll crashes.

Last edited:
We have now few more info. :)

First info is the CTD happen only with one mod. I understand right?

In case CTD happen only with one mod, yes, something wrong in the mod could result in CTD and may be the error log might report d3d9 as the faulty module.

Second info is about the StackHash error.

According to the site here
http://www.stackhash.com/blog/post/What-is-StackHash.aspx
that error report might be caused by viruses, by bugs in the OS, by HDD errors, by faulty RAM or by cracked apps.

Yes, it seems that the crash happens only to this mod. But how can I get more specific information about the crash than just d3d9.dll?

StackHash error maybe I got because I've tried the 4GB patch that you can apply to exe files. Some people said that it eliminates a lot of problems with rfactor and NVIDIA cards. It didn't helped for me so I'm already returned to the unmodified rfactor.exe.

Mmm, if the mod is the guilty, the app error log cant help you.

If you are lucky, try running that mod in windowed mode, to check if you can see in background a gM2 Error window, with the materials/gmt/dds/or whatever makes rF crash to desktop.

I have read again your OP, i didnt understand you was speaking about your mod, sorry. :)

Why no, may be the errors are related to the LoDs, you could try to disable them, searching for evidence.

Thats the problem, I don't get any error window with bad material, gmt or dds. From that point all seems to be ok.

Could wrong LODs cause a d3d9.dll crash?
Could mixed up textures (becasue of same material name) cause a d3d9.dll crash?

Thank you very much for your help.

EDIT: How to disable lods? Commente them out in the gen?

Well, i have not skills in modding, but i guess yes, commenting the LoDs lines in the gen files of all the cars might do the job. :)

About the log error, the gM2 error might "disturb" the DirectX, making crash d3d9 and reporting it as the guilty.
But d3d9 beeing the "effect" and not the "cause".

About the mixed up textures, here needs a reply by experienced modders. :)

It's pretty funny. The latest test result are:

1) Drove on track with Alfa 75 alone & with AI - no crashes
2) Drove with Porsche 944 alone & with AI - no crashes
3) Drove with Porsche 944 & Alfa 75 with AI - crash

EDIT:
A first clue: I noticed that rfactor crashes always when the porsche 944 in front of me brakes when leaving the pitlane.

EDIT 2:
Removed all brake & headlight entries in the .gen file of the porsche and still crashing.
Disabled all LODS of the porsche 944 and still crashing.

A video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJM5rn7_QY&feature=youtube_gdata

It crashes there where the video is fnished (you still can hear the freez of the sounds).

Last edited:
I think I have found the problem. Its the .hdv that makes rfactor to crash. But don't ask me why. I've use the hdv from the Alfa for the 944 now, and it didn't crashed anymore.

So...now..should I post the 944 hdv here so maybe we can find the problem? All physics are edited (not by me), so maybe there are some bugs.

Let me know. Thank you :)

EDIT: The bug seems to be in the [DRIVELINE] part.

This is the [DRIVELINE] part from the Alfa:

Code:
[DRIVELINE]
ClutchEngageRate=0.9          	//Auto clutch gradual engagement rate from neutral to 1st gear.
ClutchInertia=0.0148
ClutchTorque=900.0
ClutchWear=0.0
ClutchFriction=17.225
BaulkTorque=500.0
SemiAutomatic=1                     // whether throttle and clutch are operated automatically
UpshiftDelay=0.19                  	// delay in selecting higher gear (low for semi-automatic, higher for manual)
UpshiftClutchTime=0.00             	// time to ease auto-clutch in AFTER upshift (0.0 for F1 cars)
DownshiftDelay=0.19               	// delay in selecting lower gear (low for semi-automatic, higher for manual)
DownshiftClutchTime=0.0           	// time to ease auto-clutch in AFTER downshift (used to be SemiAutoClutchTime, note that the shift will complete significantly before the clutch is fully engaged)
DownshiftBlipThrottle=0.70         	// amount of throttle used to blip if controlled by game (instead of player)
WheelDrive=REAR
GearFile=75_3.0_V6_Gr.A_gears.ini
AllowGearingChanges=0               // cannot change stock ratios until one buys a tranny upgrade
AllowFinalDriveChanges=1 
FinalDriveSetting=0
ReverseSetting=0
ForwardGears=5
Gear1Setting=0
Gear2Setting=12
Gear3Setting=20
Gear4Setting=27
Gear5Setting=33
DiffPumpTorque=240.0
DiffPumpRange=(0, 0.1,11)         // differential acting on all driven wheels
DiffPumpSetting=6				// was 6 !!!!!!!
DiffPowerRange=(0, 0.1, 11)        	// fraction of power-side input torque transferred through diff
DiffPowerSetting=0                  // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)
DiffCoastRange=(0, 0.1, 11)        // fraction of coast-side input torque transferred through diff
DiffCoastSetting=0                  // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)
DiffPreloadRange=(0.0, 0.1, 11)     // preload torque that must be overcome to have wheelspeed difference
DiffPreloadSetting=0                // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)

And his one is from the 944 that causes the crash, so I think here has to be a error:

Code:
[DRIVELINE]
ClutchEngageRate=0.8          //Auto clutch gradual engagement rate from neutral to 1st gear.
ClutchInertia=0.0148
ClutchTorque=1000
ClutchWear=0.0
ClutchFriction=23.0
BaulkTorque=1150
SemiAutomatic=0                     // whether throttle and clutch are operated automatically
UpshiftDelay=0.17                  // delay in selecting higher gear (low for semi-automatic, higher for manual)
UpshiftClutchTime=0             // time to ease auto-clutch in AFTER upshift (0.0 for F1 cars)
UpshiftBlipThrottle=0.3
DownshiftDelay=0.2                // delay in selecting lower gear (low for semi-automatic, higher for manual)
DownshiftClutchTime=0.1           // time to ease auto-clutch in AFTER downshift (used to be SemiAutoClutchTime, note that the shift will complete significantly before the clutch is fully engaged)
DownshiftBlipThrottle=0.5          // amount of throttle used to blip if controlled by game (instead of player)
WheelDrive=REAR                     // which wheels are driven: REAR, FOUR (even torque split), or FRONT
GearFile=944_S2_Rally_gears.ini            // Must come before final/reverse/gear settings!
FinalDriveSetting=0                 // indexed into GearFile list
ReverseSetting=0
ForwardGears=5
Gear1Setting=1
Gear2Setting=3
Gear3Setting=4
Gear4Setting=5
Gear5Setting=6
DiffPumpTorque=30               // at 100% pump diff setting, the torque redirected per wheelspeed difference in radians/sec (roughly 1.2kph)
DiffPumpRange=(0, 0.1, 11)
DiffPumpSetting=0
DiffPowerRange=(0, 0.1, 11)        // fraction of power-side input torque transferred through diff
DiffPowerSetting=2                 // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)
DiffCoastRange=(0, 0.1, 11)        // fraction of coast-side input torque transferred through diff
DiffCoastSetting=1                 // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)
DiffPreloadRange=(0, 0.1, 11)     // preload torque that must be overcome to have wheelspeed difference
DiffPreloadSetting=1                // (not implemented for four-wheel drive)[CODE]
[/CODE]

EDIT AGAIN:

Now I've changed the DRIVELINE part, but now it crashed at another place on the track. Now I'm completly clueless.

Last edited:
Now I'm completely frustrated. It's still crashing. Changing the hdv only seems to change the place or event when it crashes, but it does not elimintate the crashes.
What should I try/check out next?

How problematic are dots (.) in filenames, like: "GearFile=75_3.0_V6_Gr.A_gears.ini"

In the lower section, the ClutchTorque, BaulkTorque and DiffPumpTorque settings have lost the decimal points. Not sure that would be enough to render a crash though. Also check the gear file to make sure there are enough ratios for the chosen default gear settings.

No, I don't think thats the problem.
I'm still getting d3d9 crashes when I play with more cars on track. And I don't know why. It must be mod related, hardware & software are ok.

Last edited:

Back