Antialiasing: GTX285 vs. GTX770

Robert Gödicke

Hey everyone!

I recently upgraded to a GTX770. I'm very satisfied with it, but one thing is extremely strange: The visual quality of rFactor 1 with antialiasing.

I tried some things already, but so far I was not successful in replicating the visual quality my trusty old GTX285 delivered while the impact on performance is very little.
To make things short, I used the following settings in the driver and in-game:

Anisotropic filtering setting: 16x
Antialiasing - FXAA: Use global setting (Off)
Antialiasing - Einstellung: 4x
Antialiasing - Gammakorrektur: Use global setting (On)
Antialiasing - Modus: Override any application setting
Antialiasing - Transparency: Use global setting (Off)
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

In-game:
Antialiasing: Off
Texture filtering: Trilinear

With these settings, rFactor 1 looks like this on both cards using the latest 331.40 drivers (the GTX285 produces the same quality though with any other driver):

GTX285:

GTX770:

GTX770 (with additional 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling via nVidia Inspector -> performance hungry):

Looking at the visual quality of the image from the GTX285, I'd say that it was using supersampling, but it didn't. It was off at all times. The performance confirmed this more or less because the old GTX285 without any frame rate limitations ran rFactor 1 at 250+ fps at maximum settings. The only way to get close to the visual quality with my GTX770 is to use 8x Multisampling and 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling (using nVidia Inspector, see screenshot), but even at these super high settings the quality doesn't even get close to the quality of the GTX285.

Does anyone know how I could get back my quality without killing the frame rate? Is there some kind of "hack" like using a special combination of antialiasing bits in the inspector? The jaggies and especially the jitter of the white lanes on the asphalt are driving me crazy. :(

Greez Rob

Last edited:

Back