Anyone here try Sketchup for track terrain?

beatnik

Anyone here ever give Google Sketchup a shot for track terrain modeling? Looks very intriguing. (Sketchup 8 -> 3ds Max).

Ive used sketch-up to generate terrain for my new version of Pikes Peak. I took about 50 snapshots of the mountain in Google Earth and sent them to sketch-up. I took close range shots for a detailed model close to the road and from farther away to model the entire perimeter of the mountain.

I imported it all into max and will weld the low detail meshes together for the background terrain. Im using the higher detail meshes I imported as a reference to model the terrain 30-40 meters from the track, using standard modeling techniques. It will all eventually be put together to make the finished track which will have some spectacular backdrops.

In the attached pics, the blue line is the actual path the track will follow based on topography. It doesn't match up perfectly with the mapping because Google Earth isn't perfect and didn't map the textures correctly due to the way satellite photos are generated. The mesh is detailed enough for me to tell where the track really is, because there is an impression on the mountain where the road was cut out.

I got my technique from here: http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?12424-exporting-terrain-data-to-3ds-max

Last edited:

Back