Automated pit management

Seven Smiles

I have proved many times to be incapable of multi-tasking (never mind multi - incapable of dual-tasking:rolleyes:) when driving (IRL and simracing) and this causes big problems when managing pit stops in longer races. What I need is a "virtual race engineer" to sort out for me what happens when I pit. I've looked around but can't find anything that does what I want - in some form
  • Choose whether to change tyres
  • Decide how much fuel I need to get to the end of the race
  • Decide whether damage needs repairing
  • Decide when I need to come in

PitPlanner does the fuel part in a canned way, that was the closest I found but I want something live.

Now assuming there isn't something out there to do this I'm a programmer (though I have no experience of Windows system programming) and I reckon this would be pretty easy to write. I found rfactorLiveData which looks looks just what I need to
  • Read telemetry
  • Control the pit options
and the example works so I was hoping to write a simple Python script but I can't see how to use the DLL with my own code.

The other thing I found was rfactor2python but I'd want to run this on a separate laptop and the only means of connecting with that is via a serial cable and my laptop doesn't have a serial port.

So
  1. Is there something already written that will do what I want?
  2. Any other easy way of accessing telemetry and controlling the pit menu? I'm too lazy to start from the rF Internals and work up.
  3. Am I alone in wanting this? :confused:

Don't be too sure - I've worked out how to use rfactorLiveData... ;)

Back