Best GPU under £200 for Triple Monitors

fastfezzer

Hi guys.

I'm looking to upgrade from my HD5770 running a 42" LG at 1920x1080. I wish to move to triple 24" monitors at 5760x1080.

My current spec:-

AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black Edition - 3.4Ghz (slightly OC'd)
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo MB
ATI HD5770 1GB GPU (slightly OC'd)
8GB RAM
LG 42" 1080P
Win7 64bit

I understand that to run Eyefinity on a card like the HD6970 2GB I will need to use a DisplayPort, a DVI and a HDMI. So I will need an active DisplayPort adapter.

I have a budget of £200, will a HD6970 2GB be sufficient to run rF2 at 5760x1080 at above 50FPS couple with the rest of my spec?

I did think of going Crossfire with another HD5770 but I'm starting to think there will be no real advantage as I won't gain as much as a new signle GPU?

Many thanks.

Id stretch to £240~ and go with a 7950 3GB. 3GB is good for triple screen, any more would be overkill, but i reckon better than 2GB in practical terms for a high resolution setup

My MB is PCI-E 2.0, a PCI-E 3.0 should still fit o.k shouldn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, but consider a GTX 660 as well, unless your wedded to ATI :)

PCI-E are a standardized fit that has forward and backwards comparability between versions. Also you won't find a difference in performance with this card in PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0.

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1217324/Asus-HD7950-3GB-DirectCU-II

£188 (cheapest one online)

...and this one is a 3 slotter with an insane custom cooler that is sure to allow even more overclocking potential.

fyi, this is a serious bargin and the product is sure to go out very soon. My bargin for a GTX 670 has already been removed from that site. I managed to nab a GTX 670 for the same price as a GTX 660 Ti from that site.

Last edited:
Hi guys.

I'm looking to upgrade from my HD5770 running a 42" LG at 1920x1080. I wish to move to triple 24" monitors at 5760x1080.

My current spec:-

AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black Edition - 3.4Ghz (slightly OC'd)
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo MB
ATI HD5770 1GB GPU (slightly OC'd)
8GB RAM
LG 42" 1080P
Win7 64bit

I understand that to run Eyefinity on a card like the HD6970 2GB I will need to use a DisplayPort, a DVI and a HDMI. So I will need an active DisplayPort adapter.

I have a budget of £200, will a HD6970 2GB be sufficient to run rF2 at 5760x1080 at above 50FPS couple with the rest of my spec?

I did think of going Crossfire with another HD5770 but I'm starting to think there will be no real advantage as I won't gain as much as a new signle GPU?

Many thanks.

First off, depending on the card you get you should be able to run with 2 DVI and 1 display port. Make sure what type of display port is on the card as you will either have a mini display port or a regular one. Obviously the adapter you require will be different for each.

Also, I run triple 22" monitors but am lucky to get over 60FPS max with my 6950@ 5200X1050. With triple 1080 monitors, you are talking about a bit more pixels and will require more power to be able to achieve what I currently have. That being said, no, the 6970 will not be able to run the game at the FPS you are looking for with your monitor selection unless you turn stuff down a bit to get it.

You would be better off in the long run to use the 7950 or 7970 from ATI or the GTX 680 from nVidia for those screens.

The GTX 670 is fine for triples I run 3 24" off mine. The 660 is nearly as good, if you can get a 680 at that price, bite their hands off :D

ok for gtx 670/680 4G but they have only two dvi port out. With double dvi and one hdmi i can connect triple monitors and get 3D visual surround?

Thanks in advance.

They will run three monitors yes, as I have said I run triples fine on a 2 gig 670, 3D is another thing entirely I am running in normal 2D

Thanks,
I found the answer to my question.
GTX 670 works in 3d surround 2 dvi and 1 hdmi.

gtx670.jpg

Your all making a great recommendation to him guys....but you missing a crucial part out.

I have a budget of £200

:p

The cheapest GTX 670 available is this now £252 and is likely to sell out very soon. The remaining available online to purchase are £280+.

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1291700/PNY-GeForce-GTX-670-XLR8-Enthusiast-Edit

Alternatively to the HD 7950 is a GTX 660Ti 2Gb @ £194 whilst stock lasts: http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1968885/PNY-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti---2-GB-GDDR5---PC

..and there's about a 16% difference in performance jump between the GTX 660 Ti to the GTX 670.

Last edited:
A small wait to put aside a few more quid is all that is needed, and if you look a few posts down that budget went up by £40. My concern would be more the 3D requirement, rF2 is quite greedy enough in 2D.

Also I would remind the dude to check out the GTX 660 ti 3 gig almost the same performance as the 670 but under the new budget. Here

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of triples, it's a great way to enhance your racing. :)

Let us know how those monitors work out. That is a brand that I have never seen before and the thin bezels would be an asset to those that run triple monitor setups. Might even be nice if you write up a little product review type post to give us your impressions and talk about the setup and everything.

Yes I well do when it all arrives.

A friend made a comment that 8gb of RAM is a little weedy. I didn't think so myself, I can't see race sims needing more in the near future.

Looking forward to triples. :)

I'll give the 7950 a slight overclock and it seems the benchmark tests I've seen at 5760x1080 return over 60fps on Dirt 3 with high settings. Fingers crossed for rF2. The AMD cards seem to like triples better than nVidia.

Well, that is not true, look how many NVidea triple users are on the forum and how few issues come up. They run three monitors with no problems. If I had had a single issue I would have said during my recommendation of the 670.

The AMD cards seem to like triples better than nVidia.

In terms of average fps, yes that seems to be the case as the larger VRAM lends itself well the higher the resolution.

In depends on your definition of the word "better" to whether or not it is better as in terms of smoothness nvidia cards have previously been suggest more to yield a smoother overall experience and it's the combination of the fps and smoothness that creates the overall impact. But since the new drivers, it's looking extremely promising for AMD graphics cards regarding smoothness with the latest drivers.

Back