Best way to eliminate popups (drawdistance) and flickering textures?

MystaMagoo

This is in specific reference to Lienz GP Short but it will cover all tracks I'm sure.

Research says alter the LOD multiplier in the mods cam file.
I did (1.0000 to 100.0000) and it improved the popups great but a mountain still has draw issues.
I don't know if it's 'fixable' or not?

So which is the best way to improve draw distance,popups and flickering textures?
I also read something about clip planes but is that in the cam file or a track file?
going to try changing to 1000.0000 see if it makes a difference......

For the Popups edit the *.SCN file of the Track.
At the first lines you'll find the entry View=mainview and in it the line ClipPlanes=(XXX,YYY), set the second Value to a higher number, it's like a LodOut.

But notice, in the View=mainview section is the View=rearview section included, which has the same line, but that only affects the mirrors.

And the Textureflickering in most cases can't be solved by editing textfiles, i would say, it's caused by the meshes/their material settings.

For the Popups edit the *.SCN file of the Track.
At the first lines you'll find the entry View=mainview and in it the line ClipPlanes=(XXX,YYY), set the second Value to a higher number, it's like a LodOut.

But notice, in the View=mainview section is the View=rearview section included, which has the same line, but that only affects the mirrors.

And the Textureflickering in most cases can't be solved by editing textfiles, i would say, it's caused by the meshes/their material settings.

That did the trick.
Will there be any problems if number is too high?
I should think I have the hardware to cope but ya never knows.....

texture flickering was a different track,had a lot of windows that were very distracting.

Hope I don't need to do this on every mod

Last edited:
The only Problem with higher "LodOut" Values for the ClipPlanes entry could be caused in combination with a weak Hardware configuration. But nowadays with actual hardware, it shouldn't be a problem with rFactor1 Tracks anymore.

And flickering can be caused e.g. when an object has 2 (or more) layers of polys.. laying on the same level.
That can happen when a modder forgets to clean up the meshes before he releases it.

The only Problem with higher "LodOut" Values for the ClipPlanes entry could be caused in combination with a weak Hardware configuration. But nowadays with actual hardware, it shouldn't be a problem with rFactor1 Tracks anymore.

And flickering can be caused e.g. when an object has 2 (or more) layers of polys.. laying on the same level.
That can happen when a modder forgets to clean up the meshes before he releases it.

Can't remember where the flickering track was but it was like driving through papparazzi haha
Just hope I remember to save altered files for future use and others if they wanted them.

The flickering is called z fighting. It's most common when one set of triangles is in front of another and they're parallel, and the graphics engine can't work out which ones to draw first so it guesses and keeps getting different results. The polys don't have to belong to the same object.

It's up to track builders to check for this sort of thing.

...this is a pretty common thing, so track builders everywhere get your fingers out !
you know who you are...:rolleyes:

Back