Black polys after exporting

Maranellodriver

After exporting from 3ds max, i got some black polygons. In 3ds max it looks ok. I cant really remember what I've done that this happened, maybe its caused by the cut-tool? :confused:

View attachment 198

I tried some things to fix this, but the only way so far was to recreate the mesh. Can anybody tell me, why it happends and how to avoid it?
Thanks! :)

It looks like you have some really thin tri's. Usually caused when you have skewed poly's or a hexagon(etc) type poly where the tri's are automatically generated.
You need to go through and manually add the triangles in those areas.

It also can be caused when you have 3 verts in the same place after cutting and welding etc.
An easy way to find this is in max, swipe select the whole area, then manually deselect the visible poly's one by one, you will probably find you have a very thin poly still selected in the mesh, just delete it and weld the necessary verts

In the pic below,

Top row, on the left is how you made it, in the middle is how is 'can' come out, on the right is how you want it to come out.

Bottom row, on the left is how 3 verts can be in the same place after editing, in the middle I show the faces left selected after swipe selecting then manually deselecting. on the right is how it comes out after deleting the thin polys.

Last edited:
HI mianiak,

thanks for your explainations. :) Got the most if it fixed, even I had to recreate some parts of the mesh.

Back