Can't Edit Controller.ini

GaryHensley

I just purchased both versions of rFactor. rF2 is working great, but rF1 my G27 is not turning correctly. I noticed that there is no wheel range setting so did a search and found that I have to change the controller.ini. So I opened the controller.ini, found the setting, changed it and tried to save it. But it tells me another program has it open. I rebooted computer twice, and still get the same issue. Any ideas?

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and now there is no /rfactor/UserData/GaryHensley directory. At all. But my settings are there. In rF2 it's under my docs, but rF1 it doesn't exist now. This sucks!

Are u changing it while in the game (alt+tab)? You have to exit the game, change, save, enter game.

Make sure you save your controller profile once in game, certain settings (like custom ffb settings) get completely reset if you even touch one controller setting in game, everything gets reverted to default. I think if you save them in-game though, that you can just load them up incase you accidentally default everything back to stock by touching the wrong setting. I believe you can scroll through ffb off, low, med, high, full, without it messing up ur custom controller ini settings, may be a few other settings you can safely touch as well.

Also, your real life wheel rotation is adjusted in your wheels control panel in windows.

Finally, the amount of lock/degrees that the in-game car's actual steering rack/tyres can turn is adjusted in the car tuning section once you have loaded up a session. Should say steering degrees or something like that. I think it's in the same screen where you can adjust the brake bias, brake pressure, diff, etc.

RFactor u don't go to ur docs, just go to where you installed the game like c:/program files x86/RFactor or whatever, and everything should be in there.

'scuse me for being simple . . . but don't you need to create a profile in game and setup your controller to create a .plr file and the associated controller.ini ?

also, I have small prog (Unlocker) that unlocks certain file permissions under XP. sometimes it actually works. but I have always been able to open controller.ini even when rF1 is running.

just a couple of thots . . . hope it helps.

...and note:

there are 2 "Controller.ini"

One, named "Controller.ini" is in the Folder ../UserData/"Your Nickname" that is the default one.

the 2nd one is in the Folder ../UserData/Controller this is the one which normally should be loaded if you changed the settings in game and saved them. The Name of this one, is the Name you gave it when you saved the setting-changes in game.

So, the best way to make your changes work is, to change the settings in game, save them for example as "1my wheel" and watch out that they are loaded when game starts.

But there are many Settings you have to do by editing the *.ini- file.

For example the "Steering Wheel Range", which i think is what you are talking about.

But be careful with editing ;)

edit, nevermind - this was meant for the rF2 forum, sorry.

Last edited:

Back