Car animations question

• Thread starter SmashingPants67
  • Start date

SmashingPants67

Hi!
Is possible to do in rF1 the gear stick, hands shifting gears and retractable headlight animations?
Thank you. :D

Gear shifting animation: i would say "NO", no chance
Retraceable headlight animation: Yes

Is possible to export the animated GMT in a program like 3ds max or Zmodeler 3, or even Blender (which is the only free between these three, exporting as 3ds and converting in 3ds max 2010 with rFToolsPublic plugin)?
And is possible to convert the animated mesh in 3dsimed?

Gear shifting animation: i would say "NO", no chance
The shifter animation or the hands shifting animation? Because I've seen a touring car from mod from Uruguay that in the cockpit view the shifter had animation in the mod's 5 gears+reverse.

Maybe i should have been more exact.
"Real" animations, like the steering animation of the driver in rF2, are not possible in rF1.
What you can do, is using the possible different texture frames (00,01,02,...) to get a kind of animation, like e.g. the backfire.

But because you have only 2 texture frames for the headlight, you can only "animate" on/off. Or, in your case, also covered/uncovered.

And yes, there is a Script to import rF1 meshes into 3DSMax, but the last Version that supports ISIs rF1 conversion/export tool, is 3DSMax2010.

Z-Modeler should be able to import/export rF1 gmt anyway and for Blender i don't know it, because i don't use Blender.

Can you post a Link to the Mod where you have seen the shifting animation?

Thank you, but i would need the mod itself, to see how it was done.
Maybe it was done by a Plugin.

The 1955 mod had a gear shift animation or indicator ............. sort of ............ they used the gearshift-light-feature of rFactor1 to animate what appeared to be a shifter on the dash.
I'm going to guess the one above works similarly.
Normally in rFactor1 you can have the dash show what gear you are in ...... 1st 2nd 3rd etc....

These gears show-up because you have 5-single plane polys that are typically mapped to a texture called something like gearsfont.tga

So if you create a mesh of a shifter ............ then duplicate this mesh 5-times(for a 5-gear) and place each mesh in the correct position for each gear.

Then map each of the 5-mesh pieces to a different position on a texture which resembles the one called gearsfont.tga

Each mesh will only show-up (or become visible) when you get to the correct gear.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, i've used this method for other things, like an ignition "animation" .
But watching the video, it looks as if there is a real movement and not just a switch between the single gearshifter-meshes.

Or it's just an optical illusion. :)

Thanks for the Link.
The gear lever animation uses the normal "render to texture" by using a font method, which is normally used to show the engaged gear as a number.

So the answer to the question if a "hands shifting gears" animation in rF1 is possible, still is "No".

Back