Car Modeling. What 3D program and file format is best?

RSR_Shags

Hi everyone,

I am dabbling in attempting to build a car model for use in rFactor and I am wondering which 3D modelling program and subsequent file format to use for the 3D model that would be best for compatibility / ease of getting into rFactor?

I am new to this whole process, so please be gentle!

Depends on your budget and how deep you want to dig into modding.

Autodesk 3d Max 2010 it's my prefered choice, it's far from being easy if you have 0 knowledge, but there are plenty of tools and plugins for serious modding.

3DSimED it's way cheaper, it's easy but it has some limitations.

Thanks Dandar,

So those outline the programs... What file extension is best used for the 3D model?

With Plugins, offered by ISI and to find here : ISI-DEV-Corner

you can directly export in rFactor1 gmt format.

But you'll need 3DSMax 8, 9, 2009 or 2010, because the Plugins are offered just for this versions.

I personally find Autodesk Maya easier to use. I can then export from Maya to an DAE, and Import the DAE in 3DSimEd for editing.

If you go to Digital-Tutors there are plenty of tutorials on how to use Maya to 3D Model.

i use Zmodeler v2.0, i find it very easy to use, no where near as complex as 3d max or the others mentioned above, it works in gmt format also. i have also purchased & installed Zmodeler 3.0 which defaults to Rfactor2 which is handy, much more extensive than version 2.

DragFactor was built with Zmodeler 2.0

Back