Commonly used in game buttons

Ray Thurlwell

Hi all

I am in the process of making an Arduino based digital dash and button box/surround.

What I need, if possible, are your suggestions to the most commonly used or most useful buttons to have that would be used in game.

Many thanks

Ray

Hi Ray, it all depends if you want to really be immersed in the sim -one big point to consider is - do you want to use your keyboard while racing, or would you rather be 'in the car', using the dash controls - If so, don't underestimate how many you will need. First, I fitted a pro race display to my G27 wheel, this display includes 8 buttons and two rotary encoders. Then I built a DIY button box, with 23 buttons and 3 rotary encoders.
I also use XPadder software, which allows me to use the same buttons for several functions, I highly recommend it for about a fiver. I somehow manage to use them all when sim racing, and I wouldn't be without them. It makes a massive difference to the immersion, to be able to drive and access all buttons without stretching to reach my keyboard. And I could still find more to add lol.

It's a bit too obvious to list them really, but they are based on three areas:
1) in-cockpit controls - used in-race - these include pause, ignition, start, wipers, headlights, pit request menu selections, look left and right, all the things that you need close at hand and in the most convenient places while driving. Most of these are on the wheel;
2) other car/pit controls - seat adjustment, HUD, mirrors, 'skip formation lap', camera, replay - all those controls that can be used while paused, or sitting in the pits, or on an out-lap;
3) other computer controls - AltTab, Space, Ctrl, Shift, Esc, Ent - all the controls that enable me to leave my keyboard alone, keeping me immersed inside the sim .

It's not the greatest looking setup, as the button box is basically a rectangular aluminium box with all the buttons and rotarys covering the front and top surfaces. But it is all right where I need it, and it works. At the moment, the only time I have to reach for the keyboard is when I save a setup and have to type a name in, so I probably need to use x-padder to make a macro for that :)
With the button box, G27, and ProRace, I have over 40 buttons and 5 rotary encoders, and I can easily increase this number using x-padder.
Anyway I hope there's some helpful hints here.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such depth.

I like the sound of the pro race, I will have to have a look at that.

I was tempted to use some rotary encoders but couldn't think of a purpose for them, except maybe switching between info screens.

Will have to have a look at xpadder also. I assume it is a key mapper.

Yes x-padder is a key mapping program, it can be used on any controller that Windows recognises, it's a great way of programming all your controllers to work together, especially DIY button controllers.
Rotary encoders are good mainly for scrolling through menus, for instance the in-cockpit pit menu in rFactor, I use one rotary for up and down, and one to increase / decrease.
The pro-race is sold by SR hardware or SymProjects, both as a complete unit which bolts onto the G27, or as a component part for a DIY dash.

I was looking at the pro-race but it is essentially the same as I have made using a arduino and a few dot matrix displays.

I do like the authentic look rotary dials give the dash but have been struggling to find single pole 3 way spring return dials that I would need. Will have to make do with a couple of centre return toggles for info screen switching.

All very fun though pitting it together. Got hundreds of buttons, of different colours and sizes so just need to decide what functions I need and the button layout of the box.

The rotary encoders sold by Symprojects are not spring return, they will rotate infinitely right or left, which works well. I don't know where you would get spring return ones. If you don't want the Symprojects kind for some reason, your toggle idea should work just as well. Good luck with the project.

Back