"connection lost" at the Nordschleife

Gabrielo

Hi all,
I'm new to forum. I'm writing to speak about a problem that afflicts some users of rFactor.
A few days ago, I started racing online. I raced many good GPs but now, racing at the Nordschleife, I have a problem. The session always ends for a "connection lost" reason.
I read about this problem all over the web and, as results, I know that I'm not the only one and this strange problem does not have a solution yet.

I did many tests, and in addiction to what I've read on web I can say that:
-it happens only at Ring
-it happens always and only getting trough the finish line (or at least going to the pit after that)
-it happens only marking a time
-running (also for long time) without crossing the line doesn't cause anything
-few meters before crossing the line, it's possible to see other cars running pressing "+" or "-" without lag or similar.
-when it happens, even if the time is recorded by rFactor, it isn't sent to server
-it doesn't depend on the number of connected users
-it's not servers fault because many users doesn't have this problem
-when it happens, the other web connection (skype, TS, ....) works normally

also:
-my rFactor license is regular
-I patched the .exe to 4GB and "+fullproc" string
-the PC is new and has good performance.
-the internet connection is proven, it's good and doesn't show similar problem with other online games (of any type: Flight Simulator, Sniper Elite, Netkar, etc etc).

Now I think, going for exclusion, that it's something related to the trasmission of the long lap informations (about 8/9 mins/lap) from rFactor to the server. Something goes wrong and "connection lost" occurs.

I hope that this problem can be solved. I know there are other 5.000.000 of tracks avaible, but I can't give up racing at the Ring. :D :D :D
Can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot,
Gabriele

thanks for your fast reply. I will try to follow the advices of post number 10 about network priorities.

Gabriele

Hello,

I hosted a 5 lap race around 70's Nordschleife back in April in a gp37 league. No one had any disconnection issues.
If you want, I can setup Nordschleife on my server to see if you experience the disconnect problem again. This will show you if it's something on your dedicated server or your computer.

Mango
:)

Hi Mango,
thanks for your kindness, this would be a very useful test. :)

Gabriele

ok, now I'm still at work, I think I'll be free at 8 pm: will I find your server for that time?
I hope that I will be able to connect because I haven't much experience with online racing :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, thank you again :)

Yes it will be still available when you get home, I'll leave it running so you can test.
:)

Searching on the web i found this:

I'm the expert in connection losts now!

I looked back the replays and it looks like you're suffering from the same bug as I am, because you dropped out a couple of seconds after the start every time.

BUG: some modems/routers like to close inactive TCP connections after a very short time (about 3 minutes).
rFactor uses a TCP connection for chat and sector times. At the recon lap, usually nobody is chatting or driving sector times, and due to the inactivity that connection is closed. We can still see you until rFactor realizes that the connection is not there anymore, and you drop out.

SOLUTION: keep the TCP connection alive in the recon lap. You can whisper to yourself or somebody can chat to you, then you'll be OK.

TO SEE THE BUG IN ACTION: if I join an empty server and sit there for 5 minutes doing nothing, I get 100% of the time a connection lost when I start driving. So I'm not making this up, the bug exists! :dry:

In my opinion it sounds right! Yesterday I completed more than 3 laps without problem and now I understand why: the other users in the server used the chat very frequently.

Now: it's possible to program the router or make rFactor send a TCP signal every many minutes?

I've been racing online with rFactor for about 6 years, I've never experienced that at all. I've been practicing online with others, and left the room for 15-20 minutes either to hang up the washing or making a coffee.

I suppose that maybe it's my router's fault. Some settings that I can only imagine... :(

Anyway, I try to enter in your server, but rFactor tell me that the track or some rfm is missing. The track is this?

*edit: I'm online, thanks!:)

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Dear Mango, I've made the test: I lost connection with a Kodi after a lap. When I completed the lap I went to pit, and there I lost connection, as usual.
Therefore, now I can exclude also server and track version. I try to look for something about router "standby" or similar.

Thank you very much for your help!

I get the same problem with my cable connection, the only time it doesn't boot me is in a q and race session.

Back