Copy My Rfactor Folders for my friends install

phil123uk

My mate has just got himself a copy of Rfactor 1. He would like all the same mods installed as I have. I have many mods.

Problem: Installing all the mods will take a long time.
Solution: Copy my Installed folders directly over his fresh installation.

Will this work?

I'm not sure, looking at my folders and files it looks like a risky thing.

A mod is not just the mod-folder in gamadata/vehicles mind you. there are files for Sounds/Talent/ModData/UIData/RFM/etc. etc. and even in Userdata there are files related to the mods i think. (and i'm pretty sure simply copying over your userdata folder into his will mess up his game or at least force him to re-do his settings)

Get one thing wrong and a mod or multiple mods wont work, and because you did a mass-paste of files you would not know what the problem could be so fixing it would be very difficult.

If anything, i would get your mate to install rfactorLite on a different partition/HDD and use that as a test so he doesn't mess up his current game.

For tracks this is not the case btw, Locations can be copied over with no problems.

At your house run:
Code:
robocopy "<rFactorRoot>" "<SomeUSBStick>\rFactor" /MIR /xd UserData /xf config.ini

At you friends house run:
Code:
robocopy "<SomeUSBStick>\rFactor" "<rFactorRoot>" /MIR /xd UserData /xf config.ini

/MIR does a mirror. So everything that is in his current install will be removed and replaced with your backup excluding the config.ini and UserData folder. If he already has some mods installed they will be removed. He will basically end up with an exact copy of your install only he will maintain his original driver profile.

You may want to exclude some other stuff to like ReplayFridge. Also, if you have both machines on the same network you could just robocopy direct from one machine to the other. Just get creative.

Back