Crashes in the race menu

Matthew Cherry

Hi All,

Ran rfactor yesterday, ran perfect except for a few hiccups loading certain tracks, which it has always done, rebooted the system after windows update, tried to have a race today and what is happening is i choose the car and track load map then it shows the race screen in the pits for about 1 second then crashes to desktop with windows error.
I've been running rfactor for months on the same computer with hardly any issues then today bam no good.
So then i tried this thread
But it didnt work, i really want to have a race but im stuck.
i did install some mods yesterday but i ran rfactor after that without any worries.

Running Win 8
intel i5 1.7
4gb ram
Geforce gt635M

Maybe Windows Update overwrite a needed sooner version of an DX dll.
Try installing latest DX9c over your existing DX11

Or try to find out whats up with the trace.
If you don't have one, create a shortcut of you rfactor.exe, rightclick on it, choose properties and in the line "target" where the path to the rfactor. exe is written, add -trace=30.
Should look like:
xxx\rFactor.exe -trace=30
or
xxx\rFactor.exe" -trace=30
important is that you leave a space in front of the -.

Now launch the game over this shortcut and move on until the game crashes.
Then move to your "rfactor"\UserData\LOG -folder, where you'll find a file called trace.txt.
Open it and scroll down to the end if you see something written, that could give you a hint about what causes the crash.

Maybe Windows Update overwrite a needed sooner version of an DX dll.
Try installing latest DX9c over your existing DX11

Or try to find out whats up with the trace.
If you don't have one, create a shortcut of you rfactor.exe, rightclick on it, choose properties and in the line "target" where the path to the rfactor. exe is written, add -trace=30.
Should look like:
xxx\rFactor.exe -trace=30
or
xxx\rFactor.exe" -trace=30
important is that you leave a space in front of the -.

Now launch the game over this shortcut and move on until the game crashes.
Then move to your "rfactor"\UserData\LOG -folder, where you'll find a file called trace.txt.
Open it and scroll down to the end if you see something written, that could give you a hint about what causes the crash.

So i tried the direct x with no avail, so i ran the trace, ive attached the fileView attachment 9327, it seems to be not reading any of my cars. i dont really know what it means, anyone out there seen this before? (either because it did not pass filter or error)

Did the game crash again?

The last line in the trace file is:
plrfile.cpp 2378: Entered PlayerFile::Restart()

and then the trace ends.

Did you try to create a complete new player-profile?
Maybe yours is corrupted.

And the cars which are listed as not added should be no problem.
They just don't fit the chosen series.

sorry i forgot to add the end is where the game crashes, then it goes back to windows and says rfactor encountered an error, searching for problem and the nothing happens

What is a bit strange are all the "Could not open RFM\" entries.
Do you use something like "Modmanager" or similar.

Maybe you make a fresh new install of rfactor.

That should solve the problem finally.

EDIT:

sorry i forgot to add the end is where the game crashes, then it goes back to windows and says rfactor encountered an error, searching for problem and the nothing happens

Normal Windows behaviour, i've never seen windows finding anything :D

Is it crashing with other tracks as Akagi too?

Sorry i have to leave now, will look tomorrow if you've solved it.

It was crashing no matter what, i did a clean install and it fixed it, i hope this doesn't happen again as a full install plus mods took forever.
Thanks very much for your help!

Main thing is that it runs again :).

I always have ~ 20-25 rfactor instances installed. And each contains only 1-2 mods + the needed tracks.
So you get less errors and don't have to install so much things if one instance crahes.

Back