Creating a centralised Track Store for multiple installations

still_bacon

Hi Guys

I have an clean installation for each of my Mods I race, and have the same tracks installed in each and every mod. This is chewing up HDrive space.

I read somewhere a while ago you can change TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\ in the Config.ini or the rFM (not sure) and point it to a new location, but I can't get it to look anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bacon

I have a main install and then use mklink to link the common directories to all my installs. I do it this way because of a plugin I use (rFactor Monitor) that doesn't handle multiple installs properly. It assumes that your tracks are installed in ..\GameData\Locations.

So my main install is in c:\Program Files\rFactor. I install all my tracks and plugins in that location. Here is an example of how I use mklink:
Code:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files\rFactorNAGT\GameData" "C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData"

You have to delete the original C:\Program Files\rFactorNAGT\GameData first.

Also, mklink comes with Vista/Win7. In XP you have to download junction.exe from Microsoft. The command line is a little different on XP:
Code:
junction -s "C:\Program Files\rFactorNAGT\GameData" "C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData"

You can get Junction.exe here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Last edited:
or just simply... install rFactors on another partition than system one ;)

That won't change a lot, because still, he have to link multiple installations to be able to use rFactor Monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This is pretty easy: let's say you have 2 rFactor installations called rFactor and rFactor RealFeel.
In the first one you put all of your tracks and it is installed in C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\RFACTOR\.
Now go to rFactor RealFeel installation folder and open Config.ini file. Look for TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\ and change it to TracksDir=C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\RFACTOR\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\.

That's it: no need to install anything or mess around with command line. :)

Yup, Uff is right and saved me a few gigabytes of space.

Last edited:
Editing the config.ini is the simplest way for sure. But rFactor Monitor will not work in this scenario. Symbolic links is the only work around for rF Mon. The other thing handy about the links is you can install a track to any of your installs and it will be available in all of them. Just in case you have a brain fart and extract to the wrong install. :)

Thanks guys. I used Uffs method and it is perfect. I also found I can update the Venue names in there using commas to better organise the list and it works fine. It does affect online mismatchs of the GDB, but I don't race online at this stage, so it is fine. When I start, I will just create an Online installation tracks folder, a backup config file I can swap between to make it quicker.

2 installs of tracks is better than the 5 I had with the new install for every mod.

If my brother really gets involved with sim-racing I would like to set up a network server hosting all the tracks and cars to share with both installs on different machines hosting none of the files locally on either. That way I don't need my machine on for him to play and he doesnt have to leave his on for me to play. I have yet to test if "\\HOSTCOMPUTER\rFactor\Gamedata\Locations" works via editing the config.ini file. Also wondering what effect the load times will have.

there will be some hit for sure. MAS packaged files will be loaded faster than a lot of small files.
If using UNC will not work, you can map this path to new letter and it will work for sure.

Last edited:
Never thought about using a UNC path but I just tried it and MaXyM is right it will not work so you will have to map a drive first.

Good to know. I hope rF2's system can better accommodate a system with a networked store. Would work excellent for a sim racing venue.

Is it only Locations that can be 'moved'?
I'd like to move the vehicles but get opening .mas error

Last edited:
I think the best solution is to have a "central folder" with all *.zip, *.rar, *.7z, *.exe or whatever format files of mods and tracks.
And then install only the needed mod and track(s) into the different instances of rFactor that are used for the dedicated servers.
That is the way we do it because this method is the best way to have less troubles with mismatches caused by same names of mods/tracks or the included files.....

Last edited:

Back