Dedicated Linux Server Client

zild1221

Well, I am disappointed. I got my gaming server box finally set up and ready to go. I install a Linux distro on there, get SSH working, and put that thing away. I installed all of my game servers I wanted (minecraft, ARMA II, L4D2, Killing Floor, etc). I am getting ready to host a few rFactor leagues in the coming months so I figured I would get an rF server set up on there. Come to find out, rF only has a windows server client!!

WHY ISI!!! Nearly every game ever has a Linux server client. Anyway, now it looks like I am going to have to try and run the server through Wine. Hopefully there isn't a big performance hit.

Ugh, just kind of venting. Hopefully ISI will make sure there is a Linux Ded Server client ready to go with rF2.

Lol, man... it is known since 6 years. And you are disappointed right now?
You should read before you got ssh working ;)

In case of rF2... I'm not against linux ver server. But I don't care. simracing community "is windows based". I even cannot see possibility to install dedicated server on the same machine as www/database etc. it is not technical limitation but needs to provide maximum stability and power for serious online racing. So, imo rf servers should be installed on separate machines. Since that it doesn't matter what OS you will use

Well, I am disappointed. I got my gaming server box finally set up and ready to go. I install a Linux distro on there, get SSH working, and put that thing away. I installed all of my game servers I wanted (minecraft, ARMA II, L4D2, Killing Floor, etc). I am getting ready to host a few rFactor leagues in the coming months so I figured I would get an rF server set up on there. Come to find out, rF only has a windows server client!!

WHY ISI!!! Nearly every game ever has a Linux server client. Anyway, now it looks like I am going to have to try and run the server through Wine. Hopefully there isn't a big performance hit.

Ugh, just kind of venting. Hopefully ISI will make sure there is a Linux Ded Server client ready to go with rF2.

Run it under wine, if its in your room then you laughing, but if its remote you can use remote xserver access to manage the server configuration or you can do it manually through ftp.
You can also use Oracle VM VirtualBox (it's free) and set up a windows install, but that will take up some resources.

Lol, man... it is known since 6 years. And you are disappointed right now?
You should read before you got ssh working ;)

In case of rF2... I'm not against linux ver server. But I don't care. simracing community "is windows based". I even cannot see possibility to install dedicated server on the same machine as www/database etc. it is not technical limitation but needs to provide maximum stability and power for serious online racing. So, imo rf servers should be installed on separate machines. Since that it doesn't matter what OS you will use

Well, for one, I have not needed to run an rFactor server ever so how should I have known this?

At your other comments, yes the racing community is Window's based, but so are all other games. However, all other games have a Linux server client. It makes absolutely no sense not to do so, Linux is more stable and less resource hungry than any Windows server. Also, there is no reason why you couldn't put a game server on with a web server. A web server uses almost no resources other than upload/download. I run a web server off of the same box my games are on. Just because it is a web server doesn't mean it has to be weak... Mine is running a Q9550 @ 3.5Ghz with 4GB of RAM which I am going to throw another 4GB in. This handles any game server and my web server just fine. Fact of the matter here is that rFactor is one of the only games I know of that doesn't have a Linux server client.

Run it under wine, if its in your room then you laughing, but if its remote you can use remote xserver access to manage the server configuration or you can do it manually through ftp.
You can also use Oracle VM VirtualBox (it's free) and set up a windows install, but that will take up some resources.

I tried to run it through Wine. It seems there is a problem with the Ded. Server since the 1255 update when running with Wine.

Also, the box is remote. I have it at my business location that has a commercial network connection. I have a 100/50 line there. To manage the server I just use SSH with FTP. Sometimes remote desktop if necessary. I think my only choice here is to use a virtual install of Win Server '08. If this is the case I will probably have to throttle the RAM usage of other processes while I am running the rF server...

Of course it is typical academic discussion, but I will try to argue:

all other games have a Linux server client.
It is not a reason to make a server for another game linux compatible

It makes absolutely no sense not to do so
It's about resources, programming environment and resources. If server uses some system functions connected with Windows (for example DirectX, which is not only for gfx, hope you know), creating multiplatform server costs more and requires synchronized updates with main program changes. In result you have to develop two separate apps which costs more.

Linux is more stable and less resource hungry than any Windows server.
It is irrelevant if some one owns powerful enough server.

put a game server on with a web server
Because developing and supporting it costs more. You already should know that rF community leave with current solution for 6 years and has no problems with it. Why to invests resources to satisfy single service providers?

A web server uses almost no resources other than upload/download.
One of biggest mistakes in your posts:
- web servers needs resources to process server side scripts (php, asp, jsp whatever).
- web server uses database and disk devices - both must be powered by whole system (io, cpu, memory)
- for simracing you have to provide safe, stable connection. Hosting web server you cannot guarantee that noone will download large files from repository durring some very important league event with 40+ grid (means game server on the edge)
Fact of the matter here is that rFactor is one of the only games I know of that doesn't have a Linux server client.
beside I really don't know what does 'server client' mean, rF is not intended to be a "game". It should be called simulation. And we are simulation-related community which has quite different needs than players of mine craft etc.

Finally I am not against existence of rf linux server. But I'm trying to explain the situation to make you less surprised or disappointed.

best regards

I tried to run it through Wine. It seems there is a problem with the Ded. Server since the 1255 update when running with Wine.

Also, the box is remote. I have it at my business location that has a commercial network connection. I have a 100/50 line there. To manage the server I just use SSH with FTP. Sometimes remote desktop if necessary. I think my only choice here is to use a virtual install of Win Server '08. If this is the case I will probably have to throttle the RAM usage of other processes while I am running the rF server...

I have successfully had 1255 running on wine myself on my Linux box in my room, but it was installed and run through the gui. Infact, I was blown away at how perfect it all worked. Maybe your problem is no gui? I'm 90% sure that if you get xserver running on it you should be able to get it working. That's if you want to peruse it on nix, but if your happy to go with vm then its all good :)

I have successfully had 1255 running on wine myself on my Linux box in my room, but it was installed and run through the gui. Infact, I was blown away at how perfect it all worked. Maybe your problem is no gui? I'm 90% sure that if you get xserver running on it you should be able to get it working. That's if you want to peruse it on nix, but if your happy to go with vm then its all good :)

You have any problems with clients connecting or clients dropping out every now & then?

I've had the gui running no problems under wine as have others, but the problems with rf dedi 1255 under wine in the past has been with clients connecting & staying connected to it :(

You have any problems with clients connecting or clients dropping out every now & then?

I've had the gui running no problems under wine as have others, but the problems with rf dedi 1255 under wine in the past has been with clients connecting & staying connected to it :(

Never had that problem, personally, but I only ever had a small group of friends on it, 4 at most. One thing comes to mind though, if you are running it from home, your upload bandwidth could be limited which would cause problems when more people than your net can handle connect.

We managed to host about 9 or so people on Wine fine, but as soon as we got more than that it all fell apart. We got Windows installed on the server instead and use windows tools to host our sites too on the same box.

Geez MaXyM. What is the big deal? He wants to run it on a Linux box. A lot of people would love to be able to do this. Linux hosts are almost always cheaper. This is exactly why most games have Linux dedicated servers. The Sim Vs. Game argument is weak. If anything you would expect a sim to have a Linux dedi server before a game. Also your point about DirectX makes no since. Sure DirectX is a suite of APIs for doing more then just GFX. But the fact is rFactor's dedicated server doesn't require DirectX.

Hopefully rF2 will have a Linux server.

Also MaXyM, do you ever offer anyone help or recommendations without first insulting them? It happens almost daily and gets rather old.

In case of rF2... I'm not against linux ver server. But I don't care. simracing community "is windows based".

We are not speaking about casual community. Many people have troubles with firewall or low connection speed. Linux server provides cheap and easy way to solve them. Also, it's a very popular platform and I have a lot of friends, who can host dedicated server for free on their own VPS.

Hi folks,

I've now set up a dedicated server on CentOS 6 / WINE 1.6.1 (ISI hoover WINE test). It's running the clios @ LRP atm, please try connecting and let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Uwe

Hi folks,

I've now set up a dedicated server on CentOS 6 / WINE 1.6.1 (ISI hoover WINE test). It's running the clios @ LRP atm, please try connecting and let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Uwe

No problems for me!

Thanks Deak! It would be great to get together some folks over the WE to test if we're still having wine-related problems (the program, that is, not the beverage) when more than 10 peeps join.

Cheers, Uwe

Back