DFGT Wheel stuck at 90 Degrees :S

Daniel Wilkie

Hi, no matter whether I set my wheel at 200 or 270 degrees in the Logitech profiler, the in game wheel only lets me turn 90 Degrees either way. If I set mine at 270, all that happens is that I have to turn my wheel more to get the in game wheel to turn 90, instead of it just matching mine and turning further itself.

I recently reinstalled Vista and all it's drivers, but rFactor always used to let me turn the wheel a fair bit more than that with the exact same settings, so....I'm confused! >.< The hairpin at Monaco has never looked smaller!

- Dan

(I tried changing one of the ini.'s to match my steering range, but nopes :/)

I think you first need to set the degrees in Vista Dan, then the rest will follow.
Not sure where in Vista but probably around start/configuration screen/hardware/appliances/etc-ish.

Calibrate wheel while you at it, never hurts to do that as well :)

I've gone to "Control Panel" and then "Game Controllers" and it takes me to the calibration screen thing, I've re-calibrated it a couple times but even on that screen it still only shows me turning the wheel up to 90 degrees no matter how much I turn it, doesn't seem to matter what I set it to :S

Try out this:
Ingame go to: settings/controls/rates and set the speed sensitivity to 0 %
then go to: controler1 and set the steering axis sensitivity to 100 %

Maybe you'll have to play around a bit with these settings to get the best result.

Doesn't work :/ as soon as I get to 90 degrees I feel resistance through the wheel and it stops there. It can definitely pick up the wheel turning more than that, but just won't let the in game wheel follow it. So confused, I haven't done anything different than last time :S

If i understood you right, you use the logitech-profiler?
When you set the steering-angle in the profiler to 180°, join the game, pick a car, join a testday, go on track and steer from totally left to totally right, over which angle you have to steer to make the whole way?
And then, shut down the game, go back to the profiler and set the steering-angle in the profiler to 900°, join the game, pick a car, join a testday, go on track and steer from totally left to totally right, over which angle you have to steer to make the whole way now?
Normally you should have angles from 180° (in first case) and 900° (in second case).
Is that working like this?

The settings i suggested in my first post can be used to make the steering effect more faster, to easier come around tight corners. But the steering can become more nervous too, depending on the setting you choose.

Well If I set my wheel to 200 then I have to turn roughly 90 degrees to get the in game wheel to turn 90, at which point it will turn no more. If I set it anything higher than that, then I have to turn my wheel much more to get the in game wheel to turn 90, at which point again it stops there. So basically, setting the degrees on my wheel higher means I have to turn my wheel more to get the same effect, rather than letting me turn the in game wheel further. This doesn't happen on rFactor 2, I've just tried it, it just turns as much as I turn my wheel, like it should do.

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here but i think the behaviour of your steeering-wheel is normal for rfactor.
As long as the steering-wheel ingame makes the whole way from completely left to completely right, it should work OK.
You can see if it does it at the settings/controls-screen ingame.
And when you have problems to go around tight corners you'll have to change the ingame settings (mostly sensitivity-settings) of the steering-wheel.

I see what you mean and it does make sense, but I've found a video that might explain it a bit better what I mean. Watch as he enters the hairpin at Abu Dhabi, he turns the wheel almost upside down, whereas I cannot do that, it would stop at 90 degrees left no matter what setting I put my own steering wheel to, or what steering lock I put the car to. If I put my wheel to say 900, I would have to turn the wheel over several times for the wheel in-game to just about reach 90 and there it would stop. Confusing I know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYraQt1yoQo

Aha! I've found the problem, I've just found that if I launch rFactor using "Run as Administator", it lets me do whatever I want :p I noticed that when I clicked on the menu to turn off the steering wheel animation completely it wouldn't let me, so I thought "It's as if I don't have permission to play my own game..." haha, the wheel turns properly now so that's great, thanks for trying to help me solve it though I appreciate it :)

Nice to hear that the "problem" is solved :).

And yes, it is a **** bulls**** from Microsoft that the default setting of a user is "you don't have any permission for anything", when using Vista or Windows7 (Windows8 too?).

The first thing i always do when setting up a new windows PC is, to set the User Account Control to the lowest level after first start. That protects you from many misfunctions when using software of any type.

Back