Disabled drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutch-SCO

One of the lads who race in our league is disabled, he lost the use of his legs 20 year ago after breaking his neck, to drive just now he is driving one handed and pressing the throttle and brake with the other hand, now if anyone trys this it is extremly tricky.

I'm sure i spotted something like bike brake levers for the throttle and brake but after searching the net i can't find them, has anyone spotted these or can any other disabled driver show me what setup you are using, it would be much appreciated.

If you are after a wheel this might not apply, but x-box/ps3 controllers have triggers to use for analog input. There is also this: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-hks-racing-controller/83985

Wow! cant believe you suggested that. It's like saying Shrek should be the new face of Loreal hair products.

SIM STOX make it clear on their website that they are against gamepad and keyboard users, and thus strongly not welcome.
If you dont use or cant use a wheel and pedals, dont join SIM STOX.
:rolleyes:

Sounds like SIM STOX reeks of ego and bigotry. Thanks for the warning.

There's a guy on the iRacing forum that mounted a Steerseries wheel to a Logitech G27. Not the cheapest option but a pretty good compromise, IMO.

Wow! cant believe you suggested that. It's like saying Shrek should be the new face of Loreal hair products.

SIM STOX make it clear on their website that they are against gamepad and keyboard users, and thus strongly not welcome.
If you dont use or cant use a wheel and pedals, dont join SIM STOX.
:rolleyes:

Sounds like SIM STOX reeks of ego and bigotry. Thanks for the warning.

Why is that a problem ? it was voted in by the members as pad drivers/keys had no control over the cars we race, we allow exceptions for disabled drivers so please get your facts correct mr pants and Mongoletsi

Many other leagues are wheel only, if you need to ask the question why they have this rule then you shouldnt be playing a sim.

Our disabled driver prefers a wheel to his joystick, its his choice, just like it was our members choice to race a sim with a wheel.

Last edited:
Why is that a problem ? it was voted in by the members as pad drivers/keys had no control over the cars we race

There is nothing wrong with my facts at all, it says multiple times on your website wheel users only, no pads. You even confirm the same in your reply. My facts are correct.

You cannot claim SIM STOX is disabled friendly, when you are forcing the disabled driver to spend extra money to specially modify HIS equipement or for him to buy new equipement to take part in your league.

Are you right in the head mate, let me repeat it for you again 'disabled drivers can use a pad or keys' and yes we don't allow pads or keys for normal users in all but one mod, it is however our league 'rule' also forced in car and no driving aids are another 'rule' some leagues enforce you use teamspeak we don't but i wont try and belittle there league for doing so.

Our disabled driver told me how how he uses the controls to drive, i thought i'd find out if there was an easier solution for him hence the post, don't ****ing stoop so low into saying we would refuse a disabled driver, what we don't need its smart arsed pricks like yourself thinking they know better, our other disabled racer uses a game pad, you know nothing about the way we run our league or the racing on it, our members per race speak for themselves, you might need to take a look at the way you run your leauge then you might get more than 5 in a race, TWAT.

Wait a minute your that clown that showed a few years bag bragging about driving f1 mods with a pad, and all you did was spin around in circles and left with a spat dummy *chuckle*

Last edited:
One of the lads who race in our league is disabled, he lost the use of his legs 20 year ago after breaking his neck, to drive just now he is driving one handed and pressing the throttle and brake with the other hand, now if anyone trys this it is extremly tricky.

I'm sure i spotted something like bike brake levers for the throttle and brake but after searching the net i can't find them, has anyone spotted these or can any other disabled driver show me what setup you are using, it would be much appreciated.

This wheel has 4 paddles, 2 which are progressive that you could use for throttle and brake
I think, they actually mention disabled drivers near end of review.

Are you right in the head mate, let me repeat it for you again 'disabled drivers can use a pad or keys' and yes we don't allow pads or keys for normal users in all but one mod, it is however our league 'rule' also forced in car and no driving aids are another 'rule' some leagues enforce you use teamspeak we don't but i wont try and belittle there league for doing so.

Our disabled driver told me how how he uses the controls to drive, i thought i'd find out if there was an easier solution for him hence the post, don't ****ing stoop so low into saying we would refuse a disabled driver, what we don't need its smart arsed pricks like yourself thinking they know better, our other disabled racer uses a game pad, you know nothing about the way we run our league or the racing on it, our members per race speak for themselves, you might need to take a look at the way you run your leauge then you might get more than 5 in a race, TWAT.

Wait a minute your that clown that showed a few years bag bragging about driving f1 mods with a pad, and all you did was spin around in circles and left with a spat dummy *chuckle*

As far as I can recall, I have never tried to join or had any interest in joining SIM STOX. I would like you to prove your claim that I have ever driven or attempted to drive for SIM STOX to prove your creditability. If you can prove what your saying is true about me driving in SIM STOX, I will concede and apologize. If you can not prove that this is all your fantasy and lies, then I want a public apology from you.

Yes I do not know anything about your league except for what I have read directly on your website. Here is a sample direct from the rules page from the SIM STOX website, I have underlined the line stating WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYONE USING PADS ITS STRICTLY FOR WHEEL USERS ONLY.

So you failed to read this part in the beginners guide ?

http://tinypic.com/r/2utloxt/6

2utloxt.jpg

You read the general rules of specific mods which is a guide for all members apart from the allowance of disabled drivers.

You come on a forum and publicly slate our league with no knowledge, and yet you want a public apology from me lmao, troll away somewhere else mate.

Hutch-SCO

look at this from the SIM STOX website

Then read my first post in this topic, and then read the first parts of your own posts and reactions very carefully.

Why wouldn''t you use a Joystick for the throttle and brake? That is a lever?

There are some products, like this:
http://www.accessibleracing.com/productdetail.htm?productId=-20650&catalogId=-265&fpg=1
But it is effectively a sideways Joystick.

Regarding the rest of this thread, where you guys are arguing away... I think a little more maturity is required. You're arguing a non-point, where both sides have presented enough information for it to be over, or to have never started. The choice would be to stop now, because I'm not in the mood to receive any more reports on it and hope you'll sort it out yourselves. You are clearly not capable without a warning, but now I'm telling you to stop. Thank you...

Why wouldn''t you use a Joystick for the throttle and brake?
For the same reason I have my brake / throttle pedals configured NOT to be reported as one input in my G25. Being able to use throttle and brake at the same time is important.

I'd probably go for having throttle on X axis and brake on Y axis of joystick - you could get used to "horizontal" throttle steering after a while, although the problem would be that moving left-right would affect up-down and vice versa - kinda like trying to move a mouse in a straight horizontal or vertical line.

But of course that wheel DurgeDriven has mentioned would be far better :)

Eventually you could go for mounting a joypad at the center of your steering wheel. Joypads are cheap, but you would have to buy one with as little deadzone as possible since many have big deadzones.

Hutch-SCO

look at this from the SIM STOX website

Then read my first post in this topic, and then read the first parts of your own posts and reactions very carefully.

Jog on mate, your were trying to make out that we discriminate against disabled people, your posts were to insinuate i was trying to force a disabled person to buy a wheel, completley unfounded now go away and spout ****e in somone elses thread unless you can help this lad out.

If you allow exceptions, why bother having a rule in the first place?

I'll give you an out: Change the wording on the page screen capped by Mangoletsi to something that shows nothing is set in stone and tolerances are to be given as long as the standard of driving is not impacted. Admin contact information should be posted so that someone looking to apply may discuss special allowances. As of right now I think the reaction to the current wording is what is turning people off. It does not give them a chance to prove they are capable before denying entry.

I think with the change in verbiage, all points raised would be rendered moot.

Tim, he has no use of his left hand only his right, which is why the bmx style brake lever theory would help, or even the joypad attatched to the wheel that the member above posted.
Ah, I see. All I can think of is him running traction control with a button for throttle, and using the one hand on an analogue paddle like the old Ferrari 5in1 wheel used to have, for a brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back