Does rFactor natively support super-sampling?

mclaren777

This is a question for the tech gurus at ISI or anybody else that's truly knowledgeable. I was under the impression that rFactor only supported multi-sampling AA, but that you could enable SSAA through customized driver tweaks.

rFactor was tested with a custom demo recorded on the Sardian Heights race track. The DX9 shader profile was selected for all tests. Worth noting is that the configuration tool lists rFactor's application support for anti-aliasing as a super-sampling scheme.
Source

It's up to GFX driver, whether you enabled SS or not. In Ati, you have to switch from MSAA to SSAA. With nVidia, I got SSAA with nVidia Inspector software, where I forced that mode (I suggest using mixed mode: SSAAx2 with MSAAx4).

Do we even know what the AA levels in the rFactor Config represent? Could someone accurately fill in the gaps below?

Level 1 =
Level 2 =
Level 3 =
Level 4 =
Level 5 =
Level 6 =

Just look into what is available in your GPU drivers AA settings. Simple as that :)

You have 6 levels, so you probably have nVidia card, so it looks like this:
Level 1 = MSAA x2
Level 2 = MSAA x4
Level 3 = CSAA x8
Level 4 = CSAA x8Q
Level 5 = CSAA x16
Level 6 = CSAA x16Q

I didn't realize that the AA levels were dependent on hardware. And you're right, I have an Nvidia GTX 460.

I use Level 4 even though I have tons of headroom to try L5 or L6. I can't imagine that the quality difference would really be noticeable, though.

8xQ looks worse than normal 8x and you should easily see the difference between 8x and normal 16x (Level 5). The last one, is what I was using for most of the time.

I'll do some benchmarking tomorrow to see how each Level effects the performance and IQ.

And since we're talking about it, what do the Levels represent for modern ATI cards?

With Ati cards, you only have 3 levels, which correspond to: x2, x4 and x8.
Will it be MSAA, Adaptive AA or SSAA, it depends on what has been set in the drivers.

I'm surprised by my results. Levels 1/2 and Levels 3/4 appear to be the same. And I'm guessing that Levels 5/6 would have had similar results, but instead L6 looked like L0. And I've seen other people online have problems with L6 so I wonder if the issue is with rFactor or my system.

The frame rate also stayed consistent in spite of the increased AA levels so I'm guessing that just shows how CPU-bound rFactor is.

HnB53.gif

Nice! In my case, difference between x8 and x16 was bigger, more noticable overall.
As for fps, it's because you already have so much fps, that CPU becomes your bottleneck. Load PCC 2007 mod with 60AI and you should see more fps difference between each AA level (just for testing purpose).

I should probably retract my statement about rFactor being CPU-bound. I just ran L5 AA with with capped/uncapped frame rates (to simulate how I normally play with v-sync) and my Sandy Bridge was never fully utilized.

cRUoN.png
AGmol.png

It was :)
rFactor utilizing only one core. If you enable full-proc, then CPU load might be spread across more cores but overall, it's still one core total (well, about... if you sum up all loads from different cores, you might get more than 100%).

Disable HT for your CPU, so you will get only working physical 4 cores and do that test again and sum up loads from each cores (I assume you have no apps runing in the background, that could eat CPU more than 1%).

Back