Download wont install - NSIS

mrtrent

Downloaded and tried to install rFactor 3 different times. Always get an error message referring to an NSIS issue as soon as I start to run the install program. Antivirus OFF. Windows 7 64 Bit.

Any guidance?

Instincts tell me to tell you to run as administrator.

NSIS is a free windows installation program used by many different programs. I'm not sure if rFactor is one of those programs. In order to test that out, try installing rFactor Lite from rfactorcentral ( http://www.rfactorcentral.com/rfactor_lite.cfm ), there's a good chance that it uses different installation software than the standard ISI issued version of rFactor.

(Some credit to Wikipedia)

What issue? What does it actually say?

I am downloading from ISI. Ran it as administrator. I have done it three times.

Error message pops up almost immediately that says
"The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)"

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but shouldn't a download from the actual source work? My machine is brand new W7 64 bit??:)

Well, obviously something's not right :)

I see 6 links for the full installer at the ISI site - which one did you use? Can't rule out one of them being a dud I suppose.

Other potential issues would probably include the NSIS system trying to use something your machine doesn't have, or some component it uses actually being corrupt, hardware issues on your side (intermittent memory issues, etc), and who knows what else. They would seem pretty unlikely.

Googling that error message brings up lot of forum posts for a wide range of products that obviously use the same installer, from a quick look it seems some people have hardware/software interfering with downloads and corrupting it, so probably first thing is to check which link you're downloading and if it's fine we know the problem is something at your end.

Well, obviously something's not right :)

I see 6 links for the full installer at the ISI site - which one did you use? Can't rule out one of them being a dud I suppose.

Other potential issues would probably include the NSIS system trying to use something your machine doesn't have, or some component it uses actually being corrupt, hardware issues on your side (intermittent memory issues, etc), and who knows what else. They would seem pretty unlikely.

Googling that error message brings up lot of forum posts for a wide range of products that obviously use the same installer, from a quick look it seems some people have hardware/software interfering with downloads and corrupting it, so probably first thing is to check which link you're downloading and if it's fine we know the problem is something at your end.

Download from ISI. I would think the home link would work. New machine and all. Oh well. I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone else can help.

There are 2 links (of the 6 total) from ISI. To be honest I doubt either of them is corrupted; much more likely something on your side is corrupting the download.

There are 2 links (of the 6 total) from ISI. To be honest I doubt either of them is corrupted; much more likely something on your side is corrupting the download.

He could be downloading a patch and thinking it should install the game. Nobody can help him with the absolutely minimal information he gave...

And then says he's getting 'NO help' in the 'which sim is best' thread - apparently a sleight at the rFactor community. Makes you wonder. Can't help anyone who won't help themselves.

Back