Driving Views and the Cam.cfg file

Moe Faster

I've taken to moving the TVCOCKPIT driving camera defined in the <vehicle>.CAM file from the bonnet/hood to the front left fender of the car based on the EyeLevel position found in the <vehicle>COCKPITINFO.INI file.

OK, so now I like it and I want to move them ALL over there, quite a cumbersome task I think.

In my wanderings I have found this little ditty in the <vehicle>.veh file :

Cameras=M3_GT2_cams.cam // Defaults to cams.cfg in UserData directory

I have no CAMS.CFG file in my UserData folder, where can I find such a file and what will I be able to do with it?

Thanx for any help here.

My blank 1255f install says it defaults to default.cfg, but that's not present either.

There is a default.cam in the GameData\Vehicles folder, and that seems more likely... the problem is that would presumably only be used when there is no .cam file specified in the vehicle file. So you could try removing that reference (for 'Cameras=xyz', take out the 'xyz') and see if it reverts to the default.cam settings.

Whether that would be less work than editing the .cam files is another matter (there might be only several .cam files, but 60 .veh files, in a mod - though in that case if you opened all the .veh files in a decent editor you could 'replace' all the duplicate lines pretty easily)

I was hoping to find the CAMS.CFG to be personalizes driving views. . . <sigh>.

Editing the <vehicle>_CAM.CAM file is not difficult and does not cause an online mismatch.

I can also edit the <vehicle>_COCKPITINFO.INI file to move the Virtual Mirror up from the bumper view; without causing an online mismatch. (I really hate looking up the nose of the car behind me.)

Thanx for your input.

Out of curiosity how come you're using TVCOCKPIT rather than just COCKPIT?

Also, the camera position is going to be a little bit different for each car, because each car's viewpoint will be slightly off from one to the next for various reasons (i.e. ride height, seating position, etc.). So, it's not just a simple matter of storing the coordinates and copying them from vehicle to vehicle.

Yea, the <vehicle> Eyepoint value is an (x, y, z) value from the datum of each car, and is definitely different from mod to mod. So it's an individual edit of each <vehicle>CAM.CAM file. Not a difficult edit; I set common values depending on the Eyepoint values.
}
LocalCam=TVCOCKPIT // Eyepoint=(0.395, 0.95, 0.25)
{
FOV=(62.50000, 62.50000)
OrientationRate=(360.000000, 360.000000, 360.000000)
PositionOffset=(0.400, 0.450, -0.450) // where : (Left-Right, Up-Down, Back-Forward) & (0.0254 m = 1")

To start with and then load the game and see where I am, and make the necessary adjustments.

The CockPit cam I like to leave intact. As a driving view for me they are too dark and restrictive and I just prefer the TVCOCKPIT driving view, and I don't like the Bumper.CAM because it's just too low.

The TVCOCKPIT.CAM has NO standard location except that it's in the center of the car, ok for F1 and certain Prototype cars, but I do like to move it over for the tintops.

Anyway, I would STILL like to know about CAMS.CFG.

Back