Duel GPU cards vs 2x SLI

baristabrian

As there are well known pros and cons with running 2 GPU's in SLI (the main con being latency) I am considering replacing my 2 GTX 680 4G's with the best single GPU I can afford. However this bring me to my question. One of the cards I have been looking at is a single card BUT it is actually a duel GPU card. Wouldn't a duel GPU card function much the same as 2 single cards in SLI? Therefore suffering the same drawbacks as an SLI?

Get the best single card you can afford because SLI scaling is pretty-much broken in ISI based sims except if using 3D (well, at least NVidia 3D Vision, not sure about other 3D like H3D, TriDef, etc.) where ISI engine based sims (eg. RF2, GSCE, etc.) scale awesome.

Playing rFactor 2, Game Stock Car Extreme, Formula Truck, etc. in AMAZING Nvidia 3D Vision w/ maxed-out or almost maxed-out GFX settings, AA, triple screens (3x 1080p), and multiview, at a constant framerate of 120fps (60fps/eye, game's fps limiter set to 60) is only possible thanks to SLI'd 780Tis.

The only single Nvidia cards that may be able to achieve all that (above) are the new Titan X and the upcoming 980Ti.

P.S. ISI announced some sort of SLI improvement while using multiview in the last update. I haven't checked that out yet though as I'm almost always driving w/ 3D.

Just to update anyone following this thread:

I did take out my 2 GTX 680's and replaced with a single Titan X. Results? AWESOME! Not only did it get rid of all the stuttering and micro freezing, but the single Titan X actually pushes my triple monitor setup better than the 2 GTX680's did.

Added benefit: less heat and less noise. More room in the case for air flow.

Back