EVGA GTX 670 4GB problems with rFactor

F1Fan07

*edit* Sorry, I posted to the wrong forum... should be in the Technical Support forum

Has anyone else run into problems with rF1 either encountering a TDR* situation or complete crash with this card. Another driver in my league has the same card (with completely different PC hardware) and we both see TDR events and crashing in rF1 with any 3xx.xx driver. In fact, in the same race we were both getting screen blanking due to TDR every few minutes.

It seems through our experimentation that any level of AA greater than Level 4 triggers it. I wonder if rF1 has a problem dealing with a card with 4GB VRAM? That said, I've never seen VRAM usage over 600 MB with this sim (triple screens).

The crashes are random but seem more likely during multiplayer sessions.

System specs:

MB Asus P6T, CPU Intel i7 920 + Noctua NH-D14 cooler, RAM Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz 12 GB triple channel, VIDEO EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB, DISK Intel X-25M G2 80 GB + Kingston 120 GB SSD, OS Win 7 x64, DISPLAY: 3 x Dell 22" LCD @ 5040 x 1050, CONTROLS Logitech G27, Bodnar pedal cable, DSD iFormula button box

Affected Mods:
Historix GT, V8 Factor Unleashed, Mustang Saleen LE, VHR Stockcar

*Timeout Detection and Recovery - basically the screen goes blank while the video driver is restarted.

Last edited:
Same problem here with any configuration of 3 gtx 680 2gb cards. Change to DX7 in the config and that should fix it for now. Check out my tweet to Tim over the weekend. I put a support email together and sent it in today.

Thanks for the info. While I wish you weren't having problems, I can now be really sure it's not an issue unique to my PC.

I've also emailed support.

Last edited:
I have experienced the same problem with rFactor 1 when running at max settings, 5760 X 1200 resolution. I switched the AA from Level 6 to Level 4 and I have not had the problem since. I did get one crash in iRacing since installing the 670 GPU, but have never had another one. (knock on wood)

Relevant System Specs - Core i5 2500K CPU overclocked to 4.8 ghz, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, EVGA Superclocked 670 4 GB GPU, Windows 7 64 bit, 1 TB 7200 RPM HD, Thrustmaster T500RS wheel, Fanatec Clubsport pedals and Thrustmaster TH8RS sequential shifter.

I'm gonna' have to try DX9 with Level 4. I have it set to Level 6, but AA on video card config is configured to 4xAA and 4xAF.

And from a hardware perspective. I not only changed out video card, motherboard, RAM, and CPU, I also rebuilt the operating system on both configurations.

System setups were:
1)
Rampage III Extreme with i7-950 and 24gb of RAM (6x4), Win7 Ult 64bit, 2 GTX 580's running 290.xx series of driver.
Could run all variations of DX7 or DX9 with Level 6, etc at 5760x1080 in 2D surround

2)
Same motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but upgraded to 2 GTX 680's and the R300 series driver.
Ran VHR 2012 and Indy mods for 3 weeks and never had a problem. Then hit an issues at Texas with the crashing. Indy mod was still fine at DX9, but had to drop to DX7 for VHR to run properly.

3)
Upgraded to Rampage IV Extreme with i7-3930K, and 64gb of RAM and added a 3rd GTX 680 and the latest R300 at that time.
Same issue, still couldn't run DX9. Also, found that in the R4E I could not run all 3 cards in 2D surround. I could run 2D surround on 2 cards in SLI, or a single card, or all 3 cards in SLI on a single monitor (NOT 2D surround), and it was fine. As soon as I used the 3rd card in SLI 2D surround all USB ports would continue to connect/disconnect over and over. RMA'd the motherboard, tried 3 different BIOS, from original on each to the latest on each, and same problem. Have a case open with ASUS, but they have been almost 3 months with no response. (YEAH /sarcasm) So, for the time being I'm running 2 GTX 680's in SLI 2D surround with the 3rd as a dedicated Physx, which only gives me a card for my 4th monitor.

1 card in 2D surround in rF1 = 500-600fps
2 cards in SLI 2D surround in rF1 = 280-300fps
3 cards in SLI 2D surround in rF1 = 100 fps

It was pretty much the same numbers for the 580's for 1 and 2 cards. rF2 is a different story, much less on each setup, cut it about in half with all stock settings with the latest build and beta driver release, but I know they're still working on things in the multi-card department.

I'll add that I only play in DX9 mode (a couple of mods require it) and that I leave all the Nvidia Control Panel settings at the defaults. Nothing is overclocked and the system is very well cooled.

Additionally, I am running MSI Afterburner in the background but it's not set to overclock the card.

No overclocking here, running cool. All defaults on Nvidia other then forcing 4xAA and 4xAF to get rid of jaggies.

Since I have Nvidia settings overriding game settings, I changes to DX9 and dropped the Level of NONE and that seems to have fixed the crashing issues.

THANKS!!!

After testing this AM I can report that rFactor still crashes (a hard crash triggering a reboot) at high details and high AA with this new firmware.

Back