Extreme novice need video card / 3 monitor advise

markinsand

Hello all

I am an extreme novice when it comes to the hardware setup. I purchased a machine about a year ago through my work for home use. I was very specific with Dell I needed a 3 monitor setup that was gaming ready...

I am finally getting around to setting up rfactor 2 and cannot even begin to start getting 3 displays to work. At this point I'm pretty sure my video card won't even let me set it up to game on 3 monitors.

My card is a nVidia Quadro K2000 which I now realize is for workstations not gaming... so my question is what card should I get that is somewhere in the middle... I don't care if I have full on graphics at 1080p flying by on 3 screens...but I also don't want it to look like Indycar Racing by Papyrus...

The threads I've read on here are way too technical... I just need someone to say... "okay you want a solid card that will give you mid-range rfactor 2 three monitor support...you need xxx"

Thanks all!

... "okay you want a solid card that will give you mid-range rfactor 2 three monitor support...you need xxx"

Thanks all!

2 things would make this question a lot easier to answer.

1. Current Hardware Specs, CPU, Motherboard, Memory and Power Supply make and model

2. Total maximum budget

The best deal is to get a used GTX 780 Ti. Faster than a 970, should be cheaper too. Very fast. You can probably get one for $350 or so. If that's out of your price range than I guess look into a GTX 960?... You can also go AMD if you like...

If your Quadro is capable of Nvidia Surround then that will work too, you just need the Nvidia Surround feature. With regards to GPU power, I have no idea if your Quadro can run games sufficiently.

1. Current Hardware Specs, CPU, Motherboard, Memory and Power Supply make and model

2. Total maximum budget

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Dell Precision T3600
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
16384MB RAM

As for budget lets keep it under $500

watcha think? Am I SOL?

The best deal is to get a used GTX 780 Ti. Faster than a 970, should be cheaper too. Very fast. You can probably get one for $350 or so. If that's out of your price range than I guess look into a GTX 960?... You can also go AMD if you like...

If your Quadro is capable of Nvidia Surround then that will work too, you just need the Nvidia Surround feature. With regards to GPU power, I have no idea if your Quadro can run games sufficiently.

thanks! My work PC graphic card lets me group the monitors for gaming but my home one won't even show the option:

home pc:

View attachment 16708

2. Total maximum budget

Dell Precision T3600

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU-E5-1603 0 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory- 16384MB RAM

as for budget less than $500 is ideal.

2. Total maximum budget

It's a Dell T3600

Intel Xeon E5-1600

Memory - Quad channel up to 64GB 1600MHz

Last edited:
more memory buffer the better 3 or 4 gig card min. anything from a gtx 680 and above should be ok. go single card not sli

im having a heck of a time posting , I keep getting flagged for mod review???

I found this on newegg is it what I want:

EVGA 03G-P4-2883-RX GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card Factory Refurbished

GTX 960 is $240 on new egg

The GTX 780 Ti is $400

Is the 780 Ti that much better???

GTX 960 is $240 on new egg

The GTX 780 Ti is $400

Is the 780 Ti that much better???

Yes.
780Ti is/was a top of the line card with a benchmark score of 9021 - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+780+Ti&id=2717
960 is a medium/high end card with a benchmark score of 6010 - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+960&id=3114

To put those results into perspective, the £1k GTX Titan X scores 11000 points.

I personally have a GTX 780 non TI and i can play on 3 screens no issue, the Ti will only be better.

Regards.

EDIT: If you want to save a little money the 970 scores just a few hundred below the 780ti and will play fine.

Like James said, the 780 Ti kills a GTX 960 and is faster than the 970 (and even faster, in a few games, than the 980).

You should be able to easily snatch up a 780 Ti on eBay for $350, or so.

I have an ASUS GTX 780 Ti DC2 OC if you want it. Works absolutely 100% perfectly. It's one of the quietest and coolest running 780 Tis on the market and comes factory overclocked compared to the non-"OC" version let-alone the Nvidia reference cards.

Let me know :)

P.S. The gap between the 780 Ti and the 970 is quite larger in gaming than the 3D Mark benchmarks suggest. The opposite holds true for the gap between the GTX 780 Ti and 980; it's smaller in games than 3D Mark benchmark scores suggest.

Back