gPad Android App for Button Box

SuperGnome

Hiya,

I realized yesterday I could probably use my phone's touchscreen for a button box. I found the gPad software, got it setup, verified my buttons outputted to my PC, but rFactor ignores them. I don't believe I have rFactor set to ignore any inputs, though it's not a USB device. There is server software that translates commands to local keyboard input. I contacted the vendor of that software as well to see if I can get more details about how that translation works.

Any ideas?

Still no answer from the gPad devs. WHEN I get it working, I'll post the fix, then info in a different part of the forum.

I am not familiar with gPad but I am guessing it simulates keyboard inputs. There is an automation program called AutoHotkey and the trick to getting rFactor to see AutoHotkey's key presses is to configure AutoHotkey to press and hold each key down for at least 50ms before releasing. rFactor must not poll the keyboard very fast so to get it to see the keypresses you have to press them longer. So if there a a setting for the keypress duration you could try playing with that.

I am not familiar with gPad but I am guessing it simulates keyboard inputs. There is an automation program called AutoHotkey and the trick to getting rFactor to see AutoHotkey's key presses is to configure AutoHotkey to press and hold each key down for at least 50ms before releasing. rFactor must not poll the keyboard very fast so to get it to see the keypresses you have to press them longer. So if there a a setting for the keypress duration you could try playing with that.

you right with autohotkey, I made a autohotkey script in order to change the cam automatically when you do a streaming of a race. I had to find a function to have the key pressed working in rfactor, you have to simulate key push, wait 200ms, and then release the key.

Here is the function with Sens_down and Sens_up the keys to change the driver in the example :

Change_pilote()
{
global Sens_down
global Sens_up
Send {Blind}{%Sens_down%} ; appui
sleep 200 ; on attend 200ms avant de relacher
Send {Blind}{%Sens_up%} ; relache , changement de pilote
}

Sens_down=NumpadAdd DownTemp
Sens_up=NumpadAdd Up
Change_pilote()

Good idea to use your android to make a button box, another idea is to use it to make telemetry with it !
You can use simtools to grab telemetry data then the android program should connect to the simtools on the your pc !
But I dont know anything to android dev, is there anybody ?

I love AutoHotkey. I have a G27 and used one of the buttons on the wheel as a shift key. So now I have dual functions for all the buttons on the wheel. So I almost double the number of buttons on the wheel. I also have macros for all sorts of stuff so I don't need to grab the mouse as often. For example I have a macro that hits Esc, then clicks the race button at the bottom right of the screen. So I can press a single button on my wheel and it will exit to the monitor and then click race. Basically resetting the car with one button. If I am already in the monitor, the Esc key is ignored and it just clicks race. Very handy. I also have a button on the wheel that logs a date/time stamp in a file named Incident.txt. I then have a program that reads the XML results file from that race and then reads the incidents.txt file and converts the timestamps to the locations (in MM:SS) in the replay file. So in races if something happens that I want to review latter I simply hit my button and check it out after the race.

AutoHotkay rules. :)

Back