Graphics card advice please

Andy Bonar

Hoping someone can give me some advice on if its worth upgrading my current Nvidia GTX570 graphics card
Was thinking of a 760 as a replacement, but dontreally know if the rest of my system is going to hold it back too much.
All advice appreciated.

Current spec:

Palit Nvidia GTX 570 OC gfx 1280mb
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Unlocked Processor clocked to 4.4ghz
GeiL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (GB38GB1600C9DC)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO Quiet CPU Cooler
Samsund 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive (Windows 7 drive)
Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive (Games Drive)
2x 250 GB Western Digital WD2500AAKS Caviar Blue, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 9 ms (Documents and a spare)
1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST2500418AS (F backup drive)

I am currently playing rf2 on my 1080p HD lcd tv, would maybe be interested in running triple screens sometime in the future

Many thanks
Andy

if going to triples in the future you need as much memory buffer as possible 4gig or more. your system will be gd enough.

Many thanks. I might wait a bit then till I can buy a 4gig card. Wasn't sure if the rest of it would be up to the job

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

So that means for example that we should prefer GTX 680 4Gb to GTX 780 ? (triple screen)

Ive found a gigabyte gtx760 4gb and will probably go for one of those

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The GTX780 will be good enough with 3GB, I think you will only struggle if trying to do fullHD, 3D and Max AA and x4 SparseGridSupersampling all together.
The card still needs more processing power to do all that anyway so the buffer will still be last of your worries.

Triple screen full HD 4xMSAA and 2xSGSS should be no probs for GTX780 probably around 60-90 fps

Slightly related, I'm setting up a triple screen rig soon-ish, and I've been wondering how does 3D Nvidia surround do. I'd like to be able to at least try it, just for kicks.
Will a single GTX 780 make it? That's why I was opting for either a GTX 780 or a dual GTX 680 4Gb, more or less they'd cost the same. Well, slightly more for the dual setup but yeah, not significantly higher...

Any advice for someone with single screen only? I'd like everything maxed with, say, 20 AI. Not sure about AA. With current card (5900 series) I am only running FXAA and is fine at most tracks, so AA might be gravy.

Edit - nevermind. Installing 760 now ;-)

Last edited:
Any advice for someone with single screen only? I'd like everything maxed with, say, 20 AI. Not sure about AA. With current card (5900 series) I am only running FXAA and is fine at most tracks, so AA might be gravy.

Edit - nevermind. Installing 760 now ;-)

Nice

5900 eghads , the GTX760 will be like night and day, chalk and cheese man. lol

No advice needed @1920, just wind it all up.

Slightly related, I'm setting up a triple screen rig soon-ish, and I've been wondering how does 3D Nvidia surround do. I'd like to be able to at least try it, just for kicks.
Will a single GTX 780 make it? That's why I was opting for either a GTX 780 or a dual GTX 680 4Gb, more or less they'd cost the same. Well, slightly more for the dual setup but yeah, not significantly higher...

Hey Cosimo,
3D Surround is do-able with a GTX780 but I expect it would be too fps hungary, you would have to drop HDR and lower some visuals possibly resolution down to 720p, again multiview for angled monitors is a fps killer. If you aim to play fulltime 3D and surround I would wait for GTX880 which will be January - March, the game still has more optimizing to go yet so IMHO I would wait, forget GTX680 SLI its too many problems, I've heard it from too many people. Single cards are the best even if there still not fast enough.
The GTX790 will also be out pretty soon its a dual GPU on one card, they do better than SLI systems but still have some of the problems of SLI.

Back