GTX 680 4gb running 3 screens and reachin 99º (but not throttling)

Je suis Luis

Hi,

Pretty much the title thread explain my "issue".

On geforce website, on gfx specs, this is the maximum temp my graphic card could reach. I have installed RealTemp monitoring gfx and cpu temps, after 10~20 min gaming, always Realtemp tells me that my gfx reach 98~99 Cº (max temp to this gfx as i said before). And idles at 34~36 (which is normal).

I wonder why my graphic card reach max temp in just few minutes of using it and if i keep playing like this, it could damage my video card. Is that normal?

Hi
What case and GTX680 brand & model, do you have ?

In the box i have only written: Geforce Gtx 680. Beside this, a stick saying FTW (for the win)LE.

Case, did you mean computer case? If was that is an old one, opened on side with a big fan pointing to the hardware since i use stock coolers.

Excuse me my english.

If that's an EVGA GTX680FTW like this, you'll need more case cooling and/or to change the gfx card cooler.

If that's an EVGA GTX680FTW like this, you'll need more case cooling and/or to change the gfx card cooler.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, apparently is the same gpu but after look at specs on your posted link i´ve seen different numbers. Took a print screen:
View attachment 15560

edit: and could you please suggest a cooler to this gpu?

Last edited:
In the nv inspector I go to the over clocking window and set the temp slider to 60-65 and the temp never goes above 70. Give it a try.

Sent from my electronic distraction device

There is so many variables.

Basically if it was doing those temps with a brand new card no matter the case cooling I would be RMA ing it .....no question.

If it was second hand card you would have to include "stretching" as a possibility.

Stretching is from continually high temps, voltage and overclocking.

Card will idle and appear fine but reach higher thresholds faster.

I would test this ................

Single screen 1920 with rF2 on low settings and one car and check maximum temps.

In the nv inspector I go to the over clocking window and set the temp slider to 60-65 and the temp never goes above 70. Give it a try.

Sent from my electronic distraction device

I´m afraid if i do that then it start to throttling and game will stutter, but will give a try. Thanks.

There is so many variables.

Basically if it was doing those temps with a brand new card no matter the case cooling I would be RMA ing it .....no question.

If it was second hand card you would have to include "stretching" as a possibility.

Stretching is from continually high temps, voltage and overclocking.

Card will idle and appear fine but reach higher thresholds faster.

I would test this ................

Single screen 1920 with rF2 on low settings and one car and check maximum temps.

Will try that too. Not brand new nor second hand its just old. I was thinking maybe its because i set to pre render 4 frames in nvidia control panel.

Will try this sequence:
1. down to 1 pre rendered frames by gpu (because recently i change to 4 even not knowing what i should expect)
2. try your suggestion
3. try to set maximum temp as gupster said

If nothing works, will open it and re-apply thermal paste.
Thank you all

But anyone knows why my numbers are different to that link from amazon? As i remember, since i bought, i got that numbers on nvidia inspector. I´m pretty sure about that. It could be different model?

Either the temp sensor is broken/faulty or something is seriously messed-up with your card.

updating:
1. didn´t worked
2. didn´t worked (keep the same in game settings but use 1920x1080)
3. don´t know because nvinspector is greyed out this option, as you can see here:
View attachment 15562

Funny thing: tried to set max temp on Evga precision X and, like nvidia inspector, couldn´t change this value. All other option like power and stuff is available
Another strange thing: the max temp was reached after 10 minutes playing. When finished the race and quick closed rf2 software, the temp was around 70°
As real temp says i reached the max temp after 10 minutes playing and the rest of time (another 10 min) i did not reached max temp, which is strange because the gpu should get hotter after and after i think.
And, again, no stutters.

Will try to monitor with evga precision x under "hardware monitoring" option. There is a setting to play an alarm sound when reaches max temperature configured.

Is a good point.

Does it feels like 90C ?

Anything 90C in a case you will almost feel just being next it.

What is ambient temperature ( room temperature)

If you have a thermometer measure room then place it in the tower and close side, run rF2 ai race after 15 minutes without stopping the race take side off and check inside temp.

Try taking side off and blowing big desk running flat out directly onto GPU, see how much it cools if any. ( it should)

Cannot say Durge (if feels like 90°) because while playing i cannot reach the case.

Ambient temp is about 23° and, i don´t know if i understand correctly, my PC case is already open with a big fan pointing directly to the hardware.

Will try this software first: http://www.gputemp.com/ Because it measures temp overtime.

Thanks again.

Holy **** lol, look at this:

View attachment 15563

An this is hardware monitoring from EVGA precision X:

* could not attach txt files but is the same thing

there is something definitly wrong:
View attachment 15564

my last shot will be re apply thermal paste, thank you all

Last edited:
Ambient in room here is just as hot as Pic ...... IE: its is 3 pm so house has warmed up, no fans, no air conditioning, sweating to drive laps.

CLiCK TWiCE

Note CPU / GPU temps ........... what I would expect

Now imagine 20C you can drop at least 10C of those.

P.S. I have fan profile in AB I run 70% from 60c

BTW: Why is it such a drama for drivers to get full screen window working. :D

Last edited:
I get it right then. Air conditioning here. http://www.weather.com/wx/today/?lat=-12.97&lon=-38.50&locale=en_US

Don´t understand the BTW sentence now... drivers for gfx or drivers of rf2? what drama?

Back to issue: i changed the thermal paste, did another 3dmark test and get practically the same result. I think spinelli nail the problem on first guess: probably a faulty temp sensor
I don´t get performance loss, fps still fine with no stutters. It must be the sensor.
If everything here get on fire because of this, i will blame him... or haunt. Let´s see :)

Hope don´t get ugly as Lauda lol

Well, thats what i call a weird behavior:

Results of max temp running windowed mode, 3 screens, 720p, 5laps:
View attachment 15569
Max fps: 80
Average fps: 60

Results of max temp running fullscreen mode, 3 screens, 720, 5laps:
View attachment 15570
Max fps: 127
Average fps: 90

ps: should i open another thread?

edit: anyone thinks it could be a driver (not people, gfx related) problem? Thats the only thing i did not try: reinstall drivers

Last edited:
Have you tried to lower the volts ?
This should be possible with the card software, try lowering it then test the reliability on 3d apps.

Have you tried to lower the volts ?
This should be possible with the card software, try lowering it then test the reliability on 3d apps.
Exactly what a friend Pc expert (well, knows much more than me) told me to try! Thanks boblevieux, i will come back with this test result in a couple of minutes.

edit: but i dont know to lower voltage . evga precision x only allows to increase. Help, please?

Last edited:
Update status: don´t know if i did it right setting, but tried lowering voltage offset on nvidia inspector to -100.0 mV
The result on 3dmark was practically the same (1 point minus overall score) and playing rf2, gpu reaches 98° C again but have the same performance before (same fps, no stuttering)

I´m assuming there is some wrong with drivers, so not having anyone around here to confirm this, i will try to uninstall drivers in safe mode and installing again in safe mode. Fingers crossed...

You never listen to me lol

Stop cocking about with wrong tools. ;)

Untitled_1.jpg

You can drive and watch all that crap and a lot more then you see in screenshot if you want, then toggle it all off when you done. ;)

Like I said ummm .........I have tried 60fps limit and yes while it saves a little usage and heat who cares if it feels like crap to drive ! :confused:

At the below fps I have lovely feel and yes higher cpu usage but Heat is +/- 60c and it is a warmish day here.

60c Load 3D games is a holy grail it is the lowest settings nvidia inspector lets you set if you look. ( IE: 60c 70c 80c 90c )

Untitled_2.jpg

Durge, could you please tell me what to do? I can´t understand nothing you are talking about lol
Just point what button to push, english isn´t my first language

Durge, could you please tell me what to do? I can´t understand nothing you are talking about lol
Just point what button to push, english isn´t my first language

Okay, first you need to download latest AfterBurner.

https://community.racesimcentral.ne...NVIDIA-updates?p=335541&viewfull=1#post335541

Install both AB and Riva Tuner when it asks.

Open Afterburner settings you will see " Monitoring"

In list you can see all the different sensors okay, all you need to do now is enable the ones you want in games.

Tick the box " SHOW ONSCREEN DISPLAY" for each sensor you want to use, you can also change the order of list or completely disable others ( click on the tick it will go grey like 2nd FPS counter )

Once you set those go over to notifications in taskbar and click on Riva Tuner.

enable the OSD
change position and colour of OSD

You can set a hotkey to TOGGLE on/0ff.

Ummmmmmm

That is about it :)

CLICK TWICE

Okay, first you need to download latest AfterBurner.

https://community.racesimcentral.ne...NVIDIA-updates?p=335541&viewfull=1#post335541

Install both AB and Riva Tuner when it asks.

Open Afterburner settings you will see " Monitoring"

In list you can see all the different sensors okay, all you need to do now is enable the ones you want in games.

Tick the box " SHOW ONSCREEN DISPLAY" for each sensor you want to use, you can also change the order of list or completely disable others ( click on the tick it will go grey like 2nd FPS counter )

Once you set those go over to notifications in taskbar and click on Riva Tuner.

enable the OSD
change position and colour of OSD

You can set a hotkey to TOGGLE on/0ff.

Ummmmmmm

That is about it :)

CLICK TWICE

Thank you Durge. Much appreciated.
And thanks again if doenst seem i´m grateful enough

yeah, i cant see **** too on this image...

i will translate what is in green on left side:
GPU: 85%, 88°C, 98%, 85%
d3d9: 60,7 fps
Ram: 5179

Those numbers hardly say anything besides terrible temps, and they're only real-time stats; use the monitoring graph to check the entire time of gaming, and for all sorts of stats.

Use Nvidia Inspector, ASUS GPU Tweak, EVGA Precision, or MSI Afterburner to check if the GPU is downclocking or generally doing anything weird. Use the monitoring-graph.

Last edited:
Those numbers hardly say anything besides terrible temps, also, they're real-time, use the monitoring graph to check the entire time of gaming, and for all sorts of stats.

Use Nvidia Inspector, ASUS GPU Tweak, EVGA Precision, or MSI Afterburner to check if the GPU is downclocking or generally doing anything weird. Use the monitoring-graph.

It keeps this way all the time Spinelli. When reaches 98° - max temp according gpu specs- gpu load decrease a little

Those numbers hardly say anything besides terrible temps, and they're only real-time stats; use the monitoring graph to check the entire time of gaming, and for all sorts of stats.

lol

That plain ignorant

There is a heaps of sensors.......... BETTER then all tools you mention ffs.

They are RIVA TUNER it comes with AFTERBURNER

you can toggtle it on off

you can increase fonts ( rolleyes )

When you guys know nothing what you talk of you still put something down

Dont use it dont ask me again how it works obviously neither of you listened.

Oh oh and it also Logs all history

roll eyes

Untitled_5.jpg

Start Riva Tuner with OSD enabled and framerate is added to list

Now someone show me a better OSD please

There is one and I have done posts on that too many times before half a dozen at least

HWINFO

http://www.hwinfo.com/

INSTALL IT , copy and paste it to a temp, UNINSTALL IT
Use the archive as a standalone sensor any PC

It does everything above and more BUT you still need RIVA TUNER ie: AfterBurner running
to use it in OSD mode.

CLiCK TWiCE

Untitled_1.jpg

Last edited:
HWINFO Sensors can be used in OSD in conjunction with AfterBurner/RivaTuner

and that is only 1/2 of them ............. even logs your SSD lool

Untitled_1.jpg

Back