Help, for a serious beginner?

RedSkywalker7

Hi everyone, I'm affraid I am 7 years late to this game:eek:

I bought rFactor to enter some online championships after watching broadcasts showed me how great this game can be.

Im just a bit confused at how the game works at the moment though. I finished a race earlier and I just kept lapping the track expecting something to happen. I don't know what to do to 'finish' the race. I see there are alot of comands too, like signalling pitstops among many other things. Also, how do you acquire cars? When you install mods, do you automatically own the cars or do you still have to buy them?

I'm also struggling with my wheel. I have a driving force pro, but I can't seem to get it better than 200degrees with very little force feedback. I duno how to get the most out of my 900degree wheel with this game.

If there is any advice you guys can post that will help me get to grips with rFactor a bit faster than I'm doing so far, then please share:)

I finished a race earlier and I just kept lapping the track expecting something to happen. I don't know what to do to 'finish' the race.
Press Escape once you've crossed the line. There may or may not be a menu where you choose to return to the pits. It's been while since I've done a race so I can't remember exactly, but it starts with Escape.

The session will still continue so that other cars can finish. If it's an offline race you can press T (by default) to accelerate the time and end things quicker. 'T' gives more accurate results than the 'Finish Session' button. The former still has the cars going round, whereas the latter seems to make some vague guess as to where each car will finish.

I don't have your type of wheel, but some things can only be set before you start the game. Usually these things come with their own setup programs that you can install when you install the drivers, and they usually end up in the Start menu.

If you have not found it yet this site http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ has a wealth of information and mods. Also consider joining a club, I joined Gone Broke Racing http://gbr.proboards.com Like yourself I came to this only a few weeks ago and these guys have been a great help. One tip, download rFactor lite and use a new install of this this for each new mod you install. That makes it much easier to trouble shoot.

Thanks for the help guys.

Great, I'll definitely join there. One question about rFactor lite though, wouldn't I have to use up 1 of my 5 activation codes on it everytime I install it though? Also, when you install mods, do you still have to save up and buy the cars in the game or is there a way of just being able to drive them?
Do I have to do races in rFactor and gain experience to be able to do anything? I want to join a league at the moment, but Im struggling to progress on rFactor, everytime I try load up a different track it just loads up Toban raceway with that green car. I duno how to enter any other race.

Most mods for rf are free. You can enter a cheat code to unlock all cars and don't worry, a lot of people do it.
When you enter the code (i think its "ISIBABYFACTORY") you get money to buy the standard cars. When you download a mod or car set, you will find most of the cars don't cost any money.
When you download a mod or track, it usually is a compressed file that you can keep for ever.

As far as experience points for on line play or joining leagues, sorry I have no idea. I assume most on line races use qualifying as a way to get rid of the bad drivers.

Hope you enjoy your rfactor experience.

BTW, We call it a Sim.

"Its no more a game than a race car is a toy".
Maximus Attack.
:)
Yes, I quote my self. rofl

With reference to the codes, no. You can have as many incidences of rF lite as you want. To get to other cars and races you need to go to player settings and select all cars and tracks. It is fair to say this program is a little....individual? in the way the menu system works but don't worry once you get it it, is actually quite simple :)

Within the game you do (or will when you work it out) have access to all the cars and tracks and different series to play, and as has been said already car and track mods are free both to download and use in game. The money cheat is commonly used and you type the command into the chat window.

Now your wheel...I don't have like yours, but all the setting are in the "Settings Controller" menu. You might well find you can turn up your FFB there.

The best way to become a better driver and find your way around the Sim is to join a good club. Most are open to Novice drivers and will help out when you are having problems with the software (and you will sooner or later) Mine for example will let you into practice sessions while you find your feet, and if that goes well you would be invited to join one of the series being run.

In the meantime here is a link to a wealth of tips and tweaks https://community.racesimcentral.net/showthread.php/973-rFactor-Tweaks-Post-what-you-find-usefull-in-Tweaking-rfactor

Stick with it it is worth it ;)

Great Stuff I shall join!

Just a quick nooby question. I dunno what Im doing wrong, but whatever car and track I select, as soon as I press 'Load Track' it just loads up Toban Raceway in that green car every single time?? What am I doing wrong?

Okay, got to "Customize" then "Player" then click the button for Racing series, this will bring you to the series select screen. Select "All tracks and vehicles" you will then be able to access every car and track in the game. First select your car, then if you just want to try a track go to "Race weekend" and pick the track you want to run. Or If you want to run a series, go back to the first step and instead of "All tracks and vehicles" pick a series and off you go. Hope that made sense.

Okay, got to "Customize" then "Player" then click the button for Racing series, this will bring you to the series select screen. Select "All tracks and vehicles" you will then be able to access every car and track in the game. First select your car, then if you just want to try a track go to "Race weekend" and pick the track you want to run. Or If you want to run a series, go back to the first step and instead of "All tracks and vehicles" pick a series and off you go. Hope that made sense.

Yeah, its wierd, I do EXACTLY what you say here. It even shows a different car on the main menu, then as soon as I load track, say Nurburgring GP, it just loads up Toban Raceway with that green car. Is this some kind of bug??

Figured it out! Well actually someone on rFactorCentral sorted it out

Just have to 'Run as Administrator' when opening rFactor.

Glad you got sorted, I totally forgot to ask if you had done that. D'oh! Not sure if you have done this but if when you right click on the program icon to run as administrator you select settings, there is an option there to tick so it does it automatically.

Haha yeah, no prob. Thanks for all the help hey, I would have been totally lost without it, so + rep is the least I can do :p

Got a frustrating problem where the game crashes when I open a replay, but TBH Im just happy to be able to drive what I want now lol

Got a frustrating problem where the game crashes when I open a replay, but TBH Im just happy to be able to drive what I want now lol

The missing MFPlat.dll error ? I am having that one but I can work around it and see the replays. Would be nice if there was a clean solution though.

Back