help making my real car into a in game car

aaron20

As the title says I would like help making my real car into a car in the game. I'm new to the rFactor world and have yet to attempt to "mod" anything yet. Any help is greatly appreciated, if it's even doable.

To show a beginner how to mod cars (or tracks) is an almost impossible thing especially here in a forum. I fear you'll have to start by yourself. Use google or another search-engine to find tutorials and other hints what you need for modding. But it'll be a long painfull (for the brain :D) progress to increase your skills, that i can tell you. Maybe your car already exists as a mod? Did you search the net for that?

Take an ISI car, then start examining and learning what does what; start changing things. After you pass through everything you'll have your mod. For me 90% of modding was research.

There are basically 3 separate things, you have to take care of:
- physics,
- graphics (3d model + textures and stuff),
- sounds.

For physics, you need (some general notes, without going into details):
- full suspension geometry (connection points on the body and hubs for all rods, wishbones etc.). It might take from just a few hours to a few days, depending on how good you are prepared for the job. My first attempt with measuring a race car, took about 5-6 hours and I still didn't finish the job. With some road cars, it was like 3-4 hours total and I was happy with the result,
- total weight of your car and as separate, weights of hubs, tires and rims and dimensions, to calculate inertia,
- aerodynamic parameters of your car. The easiest, is to find them on the internet and the rest is a guess work. The best way - take your car for full testing in a wind tunnel :)
- pacejka parameters for tires the car has. If you don't have them, then if you are lucky, you maybe find similar tires in other mods... but if those won't be good tires, then the whole work will be ruined. Tires are the most important thing here.

3D model - not much to say here. You have to make the model from scratch or use something existing. The more effort you put into the project, the better the car will look.

Sounds - you have to record engine samples. Without a good microphone and methodology, you won't achieve good results. Other sounds, like tires, wind etc. you can get from ISI mods (good samples and are for free).

Good luck :)

Do not take an ISI car for this.

I'm pretty sure that the company that made the engine knows what is best for it, and thus is the example to follow.

I've yet to hear about ISI denying anyone from modding their stuff, IIRC it was stated that there is no issue building upon what is there. If you take something from another mod group you need to get permission. It is just easier to start with an ISI base. If you get lazy, or forget about doing something and leave it as is, you are not crossing a line and have yourself covered.

Back