help!

coyflippin

i have recently downloaded rfactor for my computer...and all it has is the asphalt tracks! i can not figure out how to download the dirt tracks or dirt track cars?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

i have gone to rfactor central.com and downloaded the dirtworks modified and a couple of tracks and cant figure out how to get them onto my game...

Spend a good few minutes having a look around your rFactor install folder, looking at folder names and where they are, then look at your downloaded tracks/mods and what folders are in them. You'll soon see a pattern emerging. If you got any tracks or mods that use installers (.exe, rather than just files sitting in a .rar/.zip) I'd highly recommend pointing them to a temp folder so you can check what files they contain and move them into place manually.

so i need to make new folders inside my rfactor folder and name them locations and vehicles? and put my dirt modified in my vehicle folder and put my tracks in the location folder?

Take a look in your rFactor install folder. You'll find a GameData folder.

Look in there, and you'll find a Locations folder - that's where tracks go. Just need to make sure you don't accidentally throw extra GameData\Locations folders into your GameData\Locations folder, since that won't work. (need to check what folders each track has... some have the full path, others you can just put straight into the Locations folder).

Also in there is a Vehicles folder, but mods usually have sounds and other things (that go into other folders within GameData) plus need some .rfm files which will go into the rFm folder, so when you open up a mod you'll normally see a GameData folder and an rFm folder. Just drag them into your rFactor folder and all the subfolders will be in the right place. But, again, you need to check what folders are in the archive and drag the correct ones out, or extract to a temp folder and work it out from there.

It's not a simple process until you're familiar with it, which is why I said to 'spend a good few minutes'. By that I mean 10, 15, 20 :)

All this is assuming you have a version of rFactor that will let you play third-party mods (not the content-limited trial version), and you don't have Win Vista/7 UAC enabled and interfering with where things are stored (may not affect mods and tracks, I honestly don't know).

Probably 95% of error messages that come up after installing mods or tracks are due to putting folders in the wrong place, so it's worth getting comfortable with it. (at least until rF2, which sounds like it will avoid all this hassle)

For an overview of all the 'normal' defined folders, check out the config.ini in your rFactor folder.

Nanook, you need to copy the actual address... copy-pasting truncated address text breaks them.

i have my vehicles in my vehicle folder and my tracks in my location folder and they are finally in my game when i load the game but when i click on the car or track to load it while im on the game it says error loading file...what did i do wrong?

Rule of thumb: install 1 item and see if it works in rfactor. installing multiple things will only make it harder to pinpoint a problem.

So i would first check if the cars work on a default track. error loading file is usualy mod-related.
Then check if the tracks work with a default car. This way you will hopefully know if its the track or a surtain car/mod.

How did you install it?
where the cars zipped to the root of rfactor or did you manualy copy/paste them?

i have downloaded tracks off of bozracingleague.com and they work but i have downloaded certain cars off of rfactorcentral.com and only some of the cars work...any other places to download cars??

is there any other websites for dirt tracks and dirt track cars?

Back