How do I set up multiple rFactor installs?

vernut

I have the 1.255 DVD and I would like to set up multiple Installations in order to separate my most used games from my downloaded trial mods and reduce loading times for the rfactor.exe and selecting the series from the Player profile.

Can I just rename a folder to rFactor2 and copy the rFactor directory there, then go to the rFactor directory and delete the unused mods and associated files giving me a lean set?

OR

Is it necessary to install a new version from the DVD and renaming the original to rFactor 2?

Hi Vernut,

like usual ... keep it simple!

You might use the following scenario:

Start a fresh installation from your DVD into the following folder:

"D:\Games\RF1CLEAN"

This installation WILL NOT be touched in any way !!! The next time you need a new rF1 instance for testing/developing/new mod/etc. you just copy ...

"D:\Games\RF1CLEAN" to "D:\Games\RF1MOD1"
"D:\Games\RF1CLEAN" to "D:\Games\RF1MOD2"
"D:\Games\RF1CLEAN" to "D:\Games\RF1DEV1"
"D:\Games\RF1CLEAN" to "D:\Games\RF1DEV2"

and so on.

Cheers
Frank

I have a common install for Locations, UserData, ReplayFridge and Plugins. Then I make separate installs for any mods I want to isolate. You can map this stuff in the config.ini but I do it using mklink (part of Vista and Win7).

So for example I have a common install in c:\rFCom, then another install called c:\rFNAGT. I then delete the existing Locations, ReplayFridge, UserData and Plugins directories from the rFNAGT install. Then I run these commands to link the common directories into the stand alone install.

Code:
mklink /J "C:\rFNAGT\GameData\Locations" "C:\rFCom\GameData\Locations"
mklink /J "C:\rFNAGT\Plugins" "C:\rFCom\Plugins"
mklink /J "C:\rFNAGT\UserData" "C:\rFCom\UserData"
mklink /J "C:\rFNAGT\ReplayFridge" "C:\rFCom\ReplayFridge"

So now when I install a track I can install it to c:\rFCom\GameData\Locations or c:\rFNAGT\GameData\Locations and have the same results. These directories are linked so writing to one is like writing to all.

I have a common install for Locations, UserData, ReplayFridge and Plugins. Then I make separate installs for any mods I want to isolate. You can map this stuff in the config.ini but I do it using mklink (part of Vista and Win7).

So for example I have a common install in c:\rFCom, then another install called c:\rFNAGT. I then delete the existing Locations, ReplayFridge, UserData and Plugins directories from the rFNAGT install. Then I run these commands to link the common directories into the stand alone install.

Code:

So now when I install a track I can install it to c:\rFCom\GameData\Locations or c:\rFNAGT\GameData\Locations and have the same results. These directories are linked so writing to one is like writing to all.

Hi Noel!

I created an account just to say "Thank You" for a brilliant post!

Create redirects to the common folders in any new installation using windows shortcuts without modifying all the INI files.

A batch file to delete the fresh install folder and replace with a link to common. Great stuff. I'm working on a little batch file to make it even easier. Will post when I'm happy with it.

Code:

Hi Noel!

I created an account just to say "Thank You" for a brilliant post!

Create redirects to the common folders in any new installation using windows shortcuts without modifying all the INI files.

Great stuff!!

I'm working on a little batch file to make it even easier - drag the new install folder onto a batch file to delete the fresh install's "shared" folders and replace them with links to the common ones.

Will post when I'm happy with it.

Back