How many controllers does rFactor2 support?

GTClub_wajdi

Hi guys
Currently I have the G27,GI-Max,DSD Button Box and DSD pro-shifter as controllers and I already ordered the SPI-D Digital Speedometer so in total i will have 5 controllers!
Can some one tell me how many devices(controllers) does rF2 support?
Thanks

I believe the number is (although someone may prove me wrong) a max of 4, i think this question
has been asked and answered many times before. :)

Well i have a CSR-E, Frex Simhandbrake, Frex Shift+, Clubsport peddals, and track IR. So thats 5 that all work with RF2 at the same time.

Do I hear 6? Any one got 6? :)

I forgot to add, mine are all separate USB's, So you should be all good GT Club. :cool:

Well i have a CSR-E, Frex Simhandbrake, Frex Shift+, Clubsport peddals, and track IR. So thats 5 that all work with RF2 at the same time.

When beta came out, it was supporting 4 devices. There was a thread about having support for more devices but none of the devs have never replied, so it's good to know they did something about it in the meantime. So, currently at least 5 are supported... any chance to know directly from the devs, what is the current maximum supported, Max? :)

When beta came out, it was supporting 4 devices. There was a thread about having support for more devices but none of the devs have never replied, so it's good to know they did something about it in the meantime. So, currently at least 5 are supported... any chance to know directly from the devs, what is the current maximum supported, Max? :)

This!sadly this topic is overlooked from the staff and I rarely saw post from Tim or any one else from ISI team in the hardware section!

imo:

csr-e : 1

frex shift :2

clubsportpeddals :3

frexsimbrake :4

track ir : it's just a webcam

so just 4 contolleurs

Last edited:
Here is a link to one of the controller limits threads.
https://community.racesimcentral.net/showthread.php/1230-Controller-Limits
The only reply ISI gave when asked "Is the 4 controller limit in rF2 set in concrete or is there a chance to expand the limit?" was Tim saying "Not that I've heard, but that doesn't mean no. So take that as written". Page 3 of the above link.

Are you sure the trackIR is not a controller?
You tell us.
Have a look and see if it's listed in Windows game controllers.
If trackIR is just a webcam I doubt it would be listed as a game controller.
I hope you prove me wrong Max.
A 5 controller limit would be better than 4.
Though nothing has ever been mentioned in any update notes as far as I know.

Here is a link to one of the controller limits threads.
https://community.racesimcentral.net/showthread.php/1230-Controller-Limits
The only reply ISI gave when asked "Is the 4 controller limit in rF2 set in concrete or is there a chance to expand the limit?" was Tim saying "Not that I've heard, but that doesn't mean no. So take that as written". Page 3 of the above link.

You tell us.
Have a look and see if it's listed in Windows game controllers.
If trackIR is just a webcam I doubt it would be listed as a game controller.
I hope you prove me wrong Max.
A 5 controller limit would be better than 4.
Though nothing has ever been mentioned in any update notes as far as I know.
No its not in the game controllers list. I have the real track ir and its far from a webcam. It's a 5 axis controller as far as I thought. We may need some clarification.
Any one care to comment further?

Do you actually set its axes to look left/right etc. in rFactor or you have that automatically, just from TrackIR plugin?

TrackIR is setup outside of the game, not when in the game.

Last edited:
The only controllers that rF looks at for the limit are ones that you can assign controls to, so TiR would not be considered a controller.

The only controllers that rF looks at for the limit are ones that you can assign controls to, so TiR would not be considered a controller.

Yep. After a good think about it, you are right gearjammer. Just like a mouse isn't a controller.

Hi guys
Currently I have the G27,GI-Max,DSD Button Box and DSD pro-shifter as controllers and I already ordered the SPI-D Digital Speedometer so in total i will have 5 controllers!
Can some one tell me how many devices(controllers) does rF2 support?
Thanks
Hmmmm. So i suppose the question wasn't really answered propperly seeing that the SPI-D Digital Speedometer isn't a controller. I am going to hook up a digi dash very soon as well and was sure there would be no probs. How did you go GTClub or are you still waiting.
When you look at it, a mouse a k/b or track ir can all be classed as some sort of controller. And then there is hardware like digi dash's.
I think in a few years most of us will have these things on our sims and rf2 is going to be a great game for many many years to come. So we need all these things working. :cool:

Hmmmm. So i suppose the question wasn't really answered propperly seeing that the SPI-D Digital Speedometer isn't a controller. I am going to hook up a digi dash very soon as well and was sure there would be no probs. How did you go GTClub or are you still waiting.
When you look at it, a mouse a k/b or track ir can all be classed as some sort of controller. And then there is hardware like digi dash's.
I think in a few years most of us will have these things on our sims and rf2 is going to be a great game for many many years to come. So we need all these things working. :cool:
Are you sure about this Max?the SPI-D Digitale speedometer is a controller,i guess/suppos as the GI-Max!
Mmmm...now I have some doubt! I will see tomorrow if the GI-Max is counted as a controller.

GI MAX is not a controler he just read the data and he can't active any thing in game

The restriction is not on devices that can be used to display information, but rather on devices that can control actions in the sim. TrackIR is an exception in a way because it can control the view, but that is mainly because it is looked at like a mouse, not a controller with definable buttons.

With that information, you can see where sim dashes as well as sim gauges will have no problem conflicting with other controllers, though I am not saying they won't have issues getting the data they need as that has to do with software talking between the gauge and rF2.

I think, from what I remember, this was a DirectInput limitation. But yes, to confirm, 4.

Things like Track IR uses the plugin system, nothing to do with that 4.

Thanks for your answer Tim. Do you know if the DirectInput limitaion is a windows issue?
I have one customer who would like 5 controllers.

I think that 5 would be the magic number:) if you count:
1- steering wheel.
2-USB pedals(like frex).
3-Sequenziale shifter/H pattern shifter that they are simply and easily switchable(can i say switchable in English?!)
4-button box.
5- Hand brake.
Now we all know that devices like GI-Max and other dashborad devices aren't controllers so 5 would be a reasonable and fair number.

I think that 5 would be the magic number:) if you count:
1- steering wheel.
2-USB pedals(like Frex pedals..).
3-Sequenziale shifter/H pattern shifter that they are simply and easily switchable(can i say switchable in English?!)
4-button box.
5- Hand brake.
Now we all know that devices like GI-Max and other dashborad devices aren't controllers so 5 would be a reasonable and fair number.

Yes GT, switchable is the word that you would use there in English. :)

However, it should be sequential instead of Sequenziale for English.

Yes GT, switchable is the word that you would use there in English. :)

However, it should be sequential instead of Sequenziale for English.
hihihi...yes "sequenziale" è Italiano( I speak Italiano,Arabo,English,Ebraico and a little of Spagnolo)some times I make confusion!:)

Back