How rfactor sorts tracks in track list?

Kolyan

Hello.

I tried to make order in my tracklist. I have several tracks by Virtua_LM and i tried to make submenu for them.

I edited VenueName in gdb file. Made it same for all tracks, but after that the order they sorted inside submenu was changed. I cant understand why. Maybe somebody can help?

Here is screenshots.

http://s12.postimage.org/rvbtx0un1/0001.png

Sebring have to be in the end of list. They all have the same VenueName.

http://s12.postimage.org/h9ryl0obh/0002.png

Donington have to be in SHIFT submenu. If i'll change VenueName to "SHIFT,Donington", it will appear in submenu SHIFT/Donington, but there is only one configuration of Donington and i dont need submenu for it.

How it works?

You need to change allot more lines then just venue and tbh, with each track it can be slightly different so there's quite some trial and error involved.

Also, once you've done it proporly, a submenu for these tracks actualy makes them different tracks from the original. so your Donnington in SHIFT is no longer the same as my original Donnington. meaning we will not be able to race together.
Meaning everyone wanting to join you in shift_tracks will have to re-download the propor edited tracks.

Best way to explain is to let you see what i did.
we tweak tracks for our leage and then put them in our own submenu called LegendsLeagueTWFR (LegensLeague in the rfactor tracklist)
This enables us to leave the original track alone, people dont have to overwrite it and it still can be used as such, we place the tweaked track in LegendsLeagueTWFR and now anyone can use both tracks.

For example this is our TWFR_Mexico88 track, original is Mexico88 modified from Hermanos Rodriguez 1988 v1.0 by Carrera4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufg52d0tx952udy/TWFR_Mexico.rar

If you download the track and unzip it, you'll see the first folder is LegendsLeagueTWFR, then the track itself.

Files edited are:
All files start with TWFR_ (SHIFT_ in your case)

The GDB file:
Filter Properties = RoadCourse 2005 SRGrandPrix OWChallenge
Attrition = 30
TrackName = Hermanos_Rodriguez 1988
EventName = TWFR Mexico GP 1988
GrandPrixName = TWFR Mexico GP 1988 //This must be the same as event name in order to sort circuit info correctly.
VenueName = Legends League
Location = Mexico City, Mexico
Length = 4.421 km
TrackType = Permanent Road Course
Track Record =

The SCN file:
CUBEASF

//-------------------------------------------------------

SearchPath=LegendsLeagueTWFR\Mexico
SearchPath=LegendsLeagueTWFR
SearchPath=.

MASFile=commonmaps.mas
MASFile=TWFR_Mexico88.MAS
MASFile=TWFR_Mexico88map.MAS

The reason for this is that if you do not proporly rename the files and lines inside scn/gdb the track 'might' show up as you would want (Donnington in the SHIFT folder) but the original Donnington will dissapear from the rfactor tracklist.
Or, it might not appear at all.
Or make them both dissapear.

For us the reason to do it this way is because we dont want to force people to get rid of their original Mexico track so we essentialy are creating a whole new track with TWFR tracks.
Same for you, moving all LM_tracks to a new directory and you wont be able to join any server with the same(but original) LM track.

Now, it can get tricky though, different tracks need different tweaks in order for it to work. dont ask why lol, i just kept changing things untill they worked.
For example our TWFR_SPa track, same GDB changes but it did not work.
in TWFR_Spa we had to also edit this in the bottom of the GDB:
SettingsFolder = TWFR-Spa
SettingsCopy = Grip.svm
SettingsCopy = TWFR-Spa.svm
SettingsAI = TWFR-Spa.svm
Qualify Laptime = 132.773
Race Laptime = 134.627

But with Mexico this was not needed.

Also in the SCN file:
SearchPath=.
SearchPath=LegendsLeagueTWFR\Spa
SearchPath=LegendsLeagueTWFR\Spa\Spa
Note how its uses Spa/Spa but with Mexico it just uses/Mexico

Its these kind of subtle things that can drive you insane, so far i've done about 5 tracks and all needed different tweaks, very subtle, could even be a Capital that you forgot which makes it not work.

If you dont care about online racing and such then i reckon its easyer, just rename the files with the SHIFT_ prefix and change the csn/gdb files as explained and it should work.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Its really nothing complicated once you remember it, all you need for these submenus are VenueName, EventName and EventName, which should be equal to GrandPrixName.
Unfortunately this does make you unable to play the track with anyone else because of .gdb mismatch.

Thank you for your answers.

There was no problem before i changed [Virtual_LM] to [Virtual_LM], Fuji to make subfolder for all Fuji configurations. I solved problem by deleting brackets. Virtual_LM, Fuji works fine.

I'll check your recommendations. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yeah carefully with all symbols other than simple letters and numbers, I had to learn the hard way too :p

Back