Laptop with 2 GPU - Rfactor2 using wrong one

A_S

apologies if this has been asked before - I can't see anything among all the many GPU posts.

The notebook i have bought has a duel GPU - a basic Intel one for day to day operations and then an 2GB NVIDIA 650m kicks in when the graphics processing work is intense - or so it is supposed to, in Rfactor's case.

When I run rfactor config i can only select the intel option and in game rfactor 2 does not appear to be using the NVIDIA GPU at all.

I am using a program called GPU-Z.0.6.6 with the game in windowed mode and monitor GPU useage. The Intel Chip (which should be static and unused) is working overtime while the NVIDIA GPU sits idle.

I can't seem to find a way to select the correct GPU - a method must be out there?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Wow, what notebook do you have? Em, the brand I mean. Sorry if this is not the answer you're waiting for, but I'm curious about this dual GPU notebook.

I don't think there is much wow about it - i think you must be misunderstanding what I am saying. I don't mean I have an SLI type arrangement, I think it is quite common to have this type of setup in a modern laptop. basically the onboard graphics operates in windows and the dedicated GPU then kicks in when the going gets tough. however it does not kick in on rfactor 2.

Laptop is a slight variation on below, all the esential specs (CPU, GPU, RAM etc are the same):

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd?oc=n0017s53&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720

Try this: "Right click a game/application/browser on the desktop. Highlight 'Run with graphics processor' then click 'Change default graphics processor'. Nvidia control panel will execute, and should be on the Manage 3d settings page with program settings tab highlighted. Click the global settings tab and change the preferred graphics processor to the nvidia gpu...It should be on auto by default. "

That's what I did too. My laptop has a dedicated GPU and you can tell the computer, thru nvidia control, to use the dedicated one by choosing the programs. I did this so mine would fire it up whenever I used Photoshop or video editing.

Same issue here.
HD4000 vs Gt730M
Dedicated doesn't appear on config table.
Without solving this issue I don't think worthes buying the full game as hd4000 won't provide nice graphics.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 15142

No, it doesn't appear in the config but rF2 will still use it if you launch it with right click and "run on this graphics processor" or whatever the option is.

Proof is that you can actually select (I mean the right click + run on this gpu) the non-nvidia card and performances will be much worse.

That said, you can't expect great fps nor great quality from an GT/M card. Personal experience.

Back