MAS file PACECAR error ...

stulec52

Help !

I now get a pop up box saying:
Error opening MAS file PACECAR/HAMMER_PC/HAMMER.MAS

had this game 2 days so far, and nothing but grief....

You can try downloading the file from the file repository and copying it over since the file may be corrupt. If that doesn't work, you may have to consider a clean install. See the FAQ for creating a clean install which will ensure the removal of any corrupt files.

really?
This is a brand new install of less than 48 hours.

Thank you for the prompt replies, I'm sure you guys have much better things to do than help out noobs, but so far I've had more issues with this than I expected.

With the limited info you provided, certain assumptions will be made. Given your other posts which suggest you've been trying to download mods/addons from rfactorcentral (not owned or operated by ISI btw) it's easy to assume mods/addons/plugins may have been installed. The most common cause for this type of error is file corruption and typically happens after users have installed (or incorrectly installed) mods/addons/plugins. With such errors, the solution is typically found through a process of elimination. This is a starting point. You don't have to follow the advice, but if you don't you could find it more frustrating trying other solutions first when trying the most common solution is typically the best way to go.

If you have tried copying over the file from the repository and the error still occurs, here are some other reasons why you might receive this error:
- You copied the file to the wrong location (from the repository).

- You accidentally deleted the file, or it was deleted during the installation of a mod/addon/plugin.

- If you do not have full access rights. Make sure you have full administrator rights and if you have UAC enabled (the default) right-click the rfactor.exe and select "Run As Administrator..." (if you have Windows 7, you'll likely want to try this anyway).

- Hard drive error (thus corrupting the file or making it inaccessible).

Many thanks Bee,
really appreciate the fast replies and great information.

I did delete all and started again, ( I am win 7 x64)
did the patch as well, and ran as admin
all working now

I had no idea RFactor Central wasn't part of RFactor, so will have to figure out how to get tracks and cars I want somehow, but clearly not your guys issue.

is there a simple guide somewhere to what mods are and how to use them or would this also fall outside of isi ? it's flippin' confusing to a newbie I can tell you

cheers

There are some threads here I think that provide some new users with info on mods and how to install them. You can still get mods from rfactorcentral.com or google "rfactor mod". The problem is usually when the mods get improperly installed (copying files to wrong folders etc). We don't provide support for mods/addons/plugins if we didn't create them because we don't have knowledge about what they contain or any errors they might produce.

If mod was created and packed properly, then installing it is as simple as extracting the package into rFactor main folder. That's it!

Welcome to the wonderful, confusing world of rFactor stulec52!

Installation of mods is where I'm hoping to see major improvements in rFactor2. LesiU forgets to mention that there's no consistency about how mod makers package their files. In most cases it's as he says but there are several different folder levels people start at. Car mods are generally at the rFactor folder level and tracks generally at the rFactor/gamedata/locations level.

Imo the best way to install mods (cars and tracks) in rF is:

first, take a bit of confidence with rF folders/files structure, then install any mod in a temp folder, check the folders structure of the new mod, then cut and paste it in the appropriate rF folders.

Say, so doing you can spend a couple more mins, but you will install the mod in the correct folders. :)

Seven Smiles, you are right, but it's not the users fault, when he tries to install mods/tracks prepared in a wrong way. If that happen, usually he is on his own (but it's not rFactor's fault because of that).

thanks everyone !

I really appreciate the help.

Maybe I should of said at the outset, my goal with this game was only really to race one oval track in Scotland that I used to go to very regularly when I lived there.
The ability to race other stuff at other tracks is just a very nice bonus.

SO, to that end, yes I was blindly trying to get the track and cars I wanted, and I actually managed to get most of that stuff to run last night, although it did throw a couple of 'wobblies' along the way ( a couple of crashes, and another error message)

I didn't even know about this game until very recently, so to find out you guys are already working on RF2 is very exciting.

thanks again
Stu

Max is right, that is the most surefire way, but why should the buyer of this game need to know about its internal design to install mods? I wrote a simple function that usually works out where to copy the files from the temp folder and there's the rFactorCentral OneClick installer (I haven't tried it), why didn't the game include something like that?

How many hundreds of threads have you seen saying "I can't get this mod to install properly"?

Max is right, that is the most surefire way, but why should the buyer of this game need to know about its internal design to install mods? I wrote a simple function that usually works out where to copy the files from the temp folder and there's the rFactorCentral OneClick installer (I haven't tried it), why didn't the game include something like that?

How many hundreds of threads have you seen saying "I can't get this mod to install properly"?

From my very limited using of the game thus far, it seems like once you make the effort to get everything working, it's worth it. but getting to that point might scare away potential racers?

I also use an online RC Car race program called VRC, those guys have all the tracks and skins available within the game that you can purchase (real cash)
don't know if they really make money, but as a user it's so much smoother
and everything works.

That said, last night I got to drive an F2 stockcar around the Racewall at Cowdenbeath.
So, the fact that purchasing R Factor has allowed me to do that is awesome !

rFactor1 is a little daunting to get up and running but far from impossible and a little time and effort usually paids off hugely. Given the vibrant mod community with the full gambit of car and track mod quality available, there is a certain learning curve that comes with the experience. Being able to climb that curve [alone or with help and most conform to the latter] results in a very satisfying relationship with the game. Start playing rFactor and one will likely continue playing it far longer than other titles.

Hope it all works out.

thanks for that.
I've played it every night this week, and every night something has happened to frustrate me.
Like last night the game crashed twice, and threw up a new error.
but, I have been updating one thing at a time, then testing, so am confident in which mods have caused the issues ( not the fault of the actual game)
and the track time I have had has been a lot of fun.

Lesiu said: Because it is not on game side. But on modders side - to create correct package. If package is prepared in wrong way, nothing helps, even oneClick installer. Note that oneClick installer uses some predefined structures and just use it. If prepared wrong, this stuff will fail also. In other words, there is no way to make it universal and always working. For example package may contain track files in structure GameData/Locations/ or just put in root directory. If modder screw this, installation will fail.

If you want standardized way, use ModMan software. It is indented to create standardized packages, and install it without users knowledge. This software exists for years and gives you just want you asking for. But for unknown reason most mods on the scene is not prepared to be compatible with it. Again, it's modders' fault.

And again one of your questions

Max is right, that is the most surefire way, but why should the buyer of this game need to know about its internal design to install mods?
Because rF is modding platform. Not a game for players who wants plug&play solution.

Back