Monitor buying is a pain!

Emery

I've been toying with getting a triple monitor setup and local events have finally provided me with an excuse to splurge. Oh, joy, it's off to the intergoogles for shopping! :p

Video card upgrade needed and good golly, there sure are a lot of options, but at least one of the EVGA-branded cards leaps ahead of the other choices. Not so with the monitors :(

What's frustrating with monitors today is it seems they're all compromises. Thin bezel --> slow. Refresh >60Hz --> poor reliability. Good reliability --> no connector choices. Bright/sharp --> missing key feature. Good connector choices --> out-of-budget. Reading reviews, just about every monitor has 10% infant mortality even when you ignore the reviews where the purchaser didn't read the details and bought the wrong product.

Final straw for me was when I decided on a particular model, only 2 were in stock :mad:

Think I'll call it a day and try again tomorrow (sigh).

The key to avoiding pain when buying monitors, especially triples, is to bend your knees when lifting. :p

Reading reviews, just about every monitor has 10% infant mortality even when you ignore the reviews where the purchaser didn't read the details and bought the wrong product.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's only a handful of factories in China that make all the monitors in the world. Brands don't really matter since a single factory often makes many brands.

It is a pain to buy. I spent about 2.5 weeks researching what monitor to buy and then had developed a shortlist I kept editing and shortening. One day, before US Thanksgiving, this ASUS PB278 went on sale plus I got a discount, I snatched it instantly and do not regret.

For triples I don't think it would be nice due to the bezel size but there are some LGs that you'd probably like. I think it's LG 27MP65HQ or LG 27EA65V. I passed on them due to being unable to adjust vertical height (I am tall) but the specs are very good. I saw someone at pCARS forum who got a 34" curved monitor (21:9 I think) and is in love with it. Of course you don't get as much visibility as you do with triples but he says he can comfortably see the mirrors in many of the cars and when he doesn't, glimpse right/left works perfectly and feels very natural.

I managed to pick up 3 BENQ 2720Z for 900 total. 2 on clearance - 1 with dead pixel near middle of screen that can only be seen on full black screen - 1 with a nasty scratch that can only be seen when its off. A third, used.

Dead pixel specials are great, especially on 3 monitor setups because you spend almost no time looking at two of them - plus its for gaming where you cant see them anyways.

Find a shop that puts clearance items on and be happy - monitors generally last longer than they should be kept for anyway - 50% off makes the upgrade enjoyable.

144Hz is a good choice for a racing monitor :)

Last edited:
(I am tall)
Only in high heels :p
I just got three AOC 20" widescreen from a Police Auction ( confiscated probably for illegal gambling ) I paid 40 euro for all 3 in first class condition with 1 dead pixel in the top left of 1 screen ;) To say I am happy with my purchase is an understatement :D

View attachment 16572

Back