My First "Sim"

C3PO

Way back in 1997 - utterly loved this. Might reinstall on my laptop :)

image.jpg

Not sure my system will handle it though 😂

image.jpg

Hmm.. the HW requirements are a tad too high for my system. Need to wait until xmas

SCGT may have been my 2nd racing sim after Mobil 1 Rally Championship by Magnetic Fields. Both were notable for having native support of an H-gated shifter back in 1999. About the only shifter available at the time was Act-Lab's RS Shifter (a 7-speed+R). ISI's v1.551 patch for Sports Car GT included support for it less than a month after initial release. I certainly got hooked and if a game didn't support my new RS Shifter, either natively or with 3rd party software such as JSJ's GPL-Shift, I had no interest in it. When ISI released their first EA Sports published F1 game, it too included H-gate shifter support. To this day, you can see that pioneering legacy in a reference to the "Act-Lab's USB Shifter" at line 591 of rFactor2's controller.json! Anyone nowadays would probably find that a rather obscure notation.

My first race sim was Formula Nibble on my Apple //e in 1986. The default/only track was Monza. Hey, it was a freebie from a magazine. My first PC era sim was NASCAR Racing by Papyrus in 1994, on my PC XT class machine.

View attachment 20780

Great memories in this thread. I'm older though, my first was Microprose World Circuit.

My first race sim was Formula Nibble on my Apple //e in 1986. The default/only track was Monza. Hey, it was a freebie from a magazine. My first PC era sim was NASCAR Racing by Papyrus in 1994, on my PC XT class machine.

View attachment 20780

That was 30 years ago. Imagine what they will be like in another 30 years - or 100 years? Elon Musk is right.

Am I allowed to suggest Pole Position?
7bPBIpg.jpg

On Amiga it was Indianapolis 500
sSBOpkI.jpg

If not counting 8-bit era racing games, I'd say my first sim experience was Papyrus' Indy 500. It was indeed quite revolutionary back in the day.

I was hooked immediately when this was released in 1991:
Formula_One_Grand_Prix_Cover.png

:cool:

Last edited:
That was my first PC game too. When my Mum saw the fictitious driver names I remember her saying "Oh, I've heard of Kurt Langer" :D

It was Grand Prix 2 that really got me going though, including the editing tools. However, I didn't understand colour palettes so I was never sure why my green was always saved as brown.

Back