My track crashes before it loads

BattlefieldPhoenix

I have created my track using 3ds max and have 'lofted' the basic outline of the track, outputted using gmotor and turned into mas, and added the gdb and scn files however when I load the track, it shows loading screen and then crashes. Can I just use a basic outline of the track? or do I have to boundries and more objects and textures? I am a bit of a noob, this is the first track I have done so go easy ;)

Thanks a lot! :D

Here is the track files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ult59dv5s0ngmu9

What you've uploaded is only a VERY small part of the things that you need for a working track :).

But the first problem is, that the gmt-file seem to have a wrong format.
Did you use the ISI exporter to export your "track" from 3DSMax into rFactor1 format?
And the textures of the gmt are needed too, and an AIW-file, cam-file, correct naming of the *.tdf......

Lot of work left...

Thank you for your reply, yes I used the gmotor2tools to output from 3ds max, I shall add the textures to the folder, are the AIW and cam file needed for the track to run? I thought I would give it a test run before I put lots of work into it and then find I didn't do something at the beginning. thanks

Actually I am using 3ds max 2011 to do everything, does this matter? The plugins seem to be working and I heard that 2011 would work the same as 2010

Oh dear, I just realized I did not activate 'make mas file' under main control bit on the gmt converter on 3ds max, this should fix the problem with my gmt

I had problems to load the gmt into the 3DSimEd, so the *.MAS is not the problem.
And the textures of all materials you've used for the gmt have to be in the *MAS-file too or you can create a second one only for textures.

To make the track work you will need an AIW-file.
If you have none, you can use the AIW-editor to create one.

But the roadmaterial-name should match with the entry in the *.tdf and it would be helpfull when the XYZ-center is somewhere on the road, or you will have little problems to drive on the track when entering with the AIW-editor.
Because the car is set where the XYZ coordinates are crossing when you use an empty *.AIW-file.

As *.cam-file you can use an empty file.

And you have to change the *tdf-entry in the *.gdb file from:
TerrainDataFile = Claypigeon.tdf
into
TerrainDataFile = Clay.tdf

And there are more things to do....hard (many things) to explain here in forum.

There's no rf1 max plugins for 2011. Heard vs actually working might be 2 different things. :) Ive also never used the option to make a mas file from max. If redapq couldn't load the gmt's into simed, my guess is the 2010 plugins for 2011 max trick doesn't work.

http://nsrs.jawcentral.com/forum/ This should help you a tic in some areas.

Two other possibilities could be...
1. you export as 3DS-file from max and upload that with all textures that you've used for the material(s)
2. you upload the MAX-scene file (+ textures) and i try (don't know if that works) to open it in MAX 2009, because that is the version i have access to.

And if 1 of the possibilities works, i could create you a loading version of your track, so that you have a basis.

Not sure if anyone else has looked, but the SCN doesn't have any instructions to load any GMT's

I did :).
That was why i noticed that the *.gmt must be wrong.
I first added the entry in the *.scn, then got the message from rFactor that it is wrong gmt version, then i tried to open with 3DSimEd what didn't work.
Then i posted it.

Thank you for everyone's replies, I will use the forum that freew posted looks very helpful for newbies, and by the way freew how do you export your tracks from 3ds max then?

So you export to gmt? Also, how can I get 3ds max 2010, is it discontinued?

Yes, I use it to export my gmt's (I have a vid on it) and I have no idea if its discontinued. I know its not available via the student site anymore.

Any Work in Progress pictures yet ?

Curious to see if this is Clay Pigeon Kart track
:)

Back