Need Clarification on Dampers (Bump & Rebound)

Roadblock

I've been searching high and low on the 'net for information about how to tune slow/fast bump & rebound, and I have seen some conflicting stuff.

Generally, it seems that 'stiffer' bump and rebound means, that spring is accepting, or giving up weight more *slowly*, than 'soft' bump and rebound.

However, I can't find a consistent answer on whether stiffer/softer means higher or lower numbers in the rFactor Garage. Can someone in the know clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Generally:
Stiffer=higher numbers=higher control over an undamped spring.

Fast and slow are just that, higher and lower speeds the damper is compressing or extending. Generally slow deals with body weight shift (think acceleration and braking weight transfer), and fast deals with pavement inconsistencies (think curbs, ruts, holes, speed bumps).

Copied from somewhere long time ago:

"Fast Bump
Controls the rapid UPWARD movement of this suspension corner following bumps and curbs. Called "Fast" because the damper is moving *up* (compressing) in a rapid motion, usually above 100mm/sec (use telemetry). So this adjustment controls how a tyre conforms to the road as it's negotiating the leading edge-to-peak of a bump or road undulation. If you find the car pushing to the outside of the track in a "skating" fashion over bumps, then soften (lower) this setting. If find the car floating and changing direction erratically, then stiffen (higher) this setting. When in doubt, go softer

Slow Bump
Controls the mild UPWARD movement of this suspension corner caused by driver input (steering, braking, throttle). Called slow because the damper is moving up (compressing) in a slow motion, usually below 70mm/sec damper speed (use telemetry). Used to affect chassis balance while we are transitioning into, and out, of the corners. Decreasing this number will speed up how quickly this corner accepts weight transfer while we are transitioning. Increasing will slowit down.

Fast Rebound
Controls the rapid DOWNWARD movement of this suspension corner following bumps and curbs. Called "Fast" because this damper is moving down (extending) in a rapid motion, usually above 100mm/sec (use telemetry). So this adjustment controls how a tyre conforms to the road as it's negotiating the peak-to-trailing edge of a bump or road undulation. If you've changed the bump setting, then it's usually a good idea to change this setting in a similar manner.

Slow Rebound
Controls the mild DOWNWARD movement of this suspension corner caused by driver input (steering, braking, throttle). Called slow because the damper is moving down (extending) in a slow motion, usually below 70mm/sec damper speed (use telemetry). Used to affect chassis balance while we are transitioning into, and out, of the corners. Decreasing this number will speed up how quickly this corner gives up - or "sheds" - weight transfer while we are transitioning. Increasing this setting will slow it down.
"

I appreciate the replies, but my original question wasn't "how do they work"... I have a good grasp of that. My question was: "Is a higher number in the rFactor garage a stiffer, or softer setting?". The answer is 'stiffer'. Thank you all again for the clarification :)

Odp: Need Clarification on Dampers (Bump & Rebound)

I appreciate the replies, but my original question wasn't "how do they work"... I have a good grasp of that. My question was: "Is a higher number in the rFactor garage a stiffer, or softer setting?". The answer is 'stiffer'. Thank you all again for the clarification :)
To be even more precise, I'd say - it depends on modder :)
In real life, higher value means stiffer but in rfactor I advice you to set damperunits parameter in PLR to value "1". That will show you damping values in real units (Newtons/meter/second). Then higher value always means "stiffer".

Wysyłane z mojego GT-P6800 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

To be even more precise, I'd say - it depends on modder :)
In real life, higher value means stiffer but in rfactor I advice you to set damperunits parameter in PLR to value "1". That will show you damping values in real units (Newtons/meter/second). Then higher value always means "stiffer".

Wysyłane z mojego GT-P6800 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Oooh, I didn't realize this.. Thank you. I'll give this a try tonight.

Higher numbers do mean higher/stiffer damping. If you set the value "damper units" in your PLR File to 1 rfactor will Show you the damping Rate in SI Units.

Back