New gaming PC and Rfcator wont run! Please help!

davidporeilly

Hi
I have been running RFactor on a laptop.
To ready for RFcator2 I bought a gaming PC. (6 Core AMD 3.4ghz, ATI 7850 graphics. 8 gig ram, 1TB Hard drive). Windows 7.

First attempt I copied all my old files across into a fresh install. Funny stuff happened: no matter what car or series or track I selected I always arrived at Monaco in the F1 1991 Mod (the last race I did).

So I uninstalled the game using control panel and deleted everything from the PC and all folders. Then went to Recycle Bin and deleted all files.

I ran Rfactor exe again. Selected a car and went to a practice session. There was one of everything in the pit garages (all series) and I was in a random car.

So I uninstalled the game using control panel and deleted everything from the PC including the newly downloaded Rfactor in downloads file this time and all folders. Then went to Recycle Bin and deleted all files.

Did a fresh download, strangely it did not ask for my unlock code.
When I opened it up it had all my lap records at all tracks still from the old game and $5m bank balance. So it looks like it found that file somewhere.
When I try to drive anywhere it crashes to desktop.
Please help it will be depressing to go back to my old laptop after this investment!
Thanks

EDIT: I have spent more time in the FAQ section and will try some things suggested there. Maybe Windows 7 has been up to its file hiding tricks!

Last edited:
rFactor needs write access to it's install folder. The Windows "program files" folder and all subfolders have restricted access for standard user (no write permission). In that case rFactor creates a new folder for userdata at "c:\users\your username\documents".
Possible solutions:
-Run rFactor as administrator.
-Edit security permissions for the rfactor folder under c:\program files. Give standard user write access.
-Create a new folder (C:\Games) and install rFactor to this location (C:\Games\rFactor).

I would try the last option.

You don't need a unlock code for additional installs on that machine. The activation data is saved at c:\programdata\Trymedia.

Thankyou Tosch
I tried you second solution first ie (-Edit security permissions for the rfactor folder under c:\program files. Give standard user write access) and also went into my security (windows security essentials) and made an exception of RFactor. It worked. Running like a charm.

Last edited:
I have Win 8 64-bit and none of the solutions suggested works for me... HELP!

Thankyou Tosch as well . . .

Used your second solution and the problem was solved. Now, all I have to do is figure out why my MoMo pedals are pegged out in calibration (the wheel works fine).

Cheers...

UPDATE-LOGITECH : Downloaded the most recent Profiler / Driver Progy and fixed everything! What's really amazing is that Logitech actually updated my MoMo Force FFB for Win8 way back in 2010.

UPDATE-WINDOWS 8: I downloaded v1255c and discovered after loading up rF1 and inserting my old key in the installation popup screen that my key was invalid because in didn't contain any dashes. I needed a "new" Key to activate. ISI has built into their Installation Run routine an order form from which you can request a new Order Number (they have your original purchase order on file) and Key Number. They emailed me my "new" Order Number and Key within about an hour. Getting this new Order/Key Number sure makes reinstallation a snap instead of having to go through all the motions described in this thread. And, it all works for Windows 8!!!!!

Last edited:

Back