new GTX 980 issue

MikeeCZ

Hi, just got my new GTX 980 and since i have it i cant play rF2, when i run the game i get into the menu, or MP lobby depending on my selection but the screen is black, so i can move my mouse around and blindly click buttons, but the screen is all black,

I tried reinstalling the rF2 with a Lite install over it, didnt help, i checked the "Configure Sim", it knows its 980 and everything seems ok there

Any ideas?

(all other games work just fine - even bloody AC)

Last edited:
In the Configure Sim, try a lower resolution than your screen (like 800x600) and choose the Windowed button. Does it work?

Same with your native monitor resolution (1920x1080?) and this time selecting Borderless (it's windowed without border). Does it work?

Now switch Fullscreen and see what happen...

What is your usual resolution to play your other games?

FSW is awesome, it is rF2's domain, pure and simple, no other sim matches it in this.

There is no borderless mode, FSW rF2 don't have a window, others sims do, even in FSW.

Most sims do, well all (12+ ) I test actually and it makes them look crap with border showing
or mouse moving it even worse.

Nor rF2 can you move the image with mouse like some other sims.

Nor does rF2 lose fps multi tasking on top of a live room like some other sims, no names lol but some are horrendous.

Nor does rF2 multitask or the windows key become "clunky" over time in sessions like some other sims when using FSW and/or alt tab

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, i will give those ones a shot as soon as i come back from work tomorrow

im having a similar issue all of a sudden, despite rf2 working fine a couple hours ago.

it starts up fine, but after ive clicked race & the track is loaded, i get a freeze. i can move the cursor around but cant click anything & rf2 is listed in the task manager as not responding. at first i thought it might be evga precision but i turned that off & am still getting the issue. ive tried borderless etc...of 3 tracks ive tried (putnam, mid ohio & silverstone ISI), 2 of the 3 get to the setup menu before the freeze, mid ohio just gets to full load & i never see the setup screen.

i have an x99 board & the bios for it are still in beta so there could also be a conflict there. any suggestions?

ok, so i just tried 800x600 and it worked. i immediately switched to 1920x1080 ingame & it immediately crashed. restarted & im in...so fingers crossed.

In the Configure Sim, try a lower resolution than your screen (like 800x600) and choose the Windowed button. Does it work?

Same with your native monitor resolution (1920x1080?) and this time selecting Borderless (it's windowed without border). Does it work?

Now switch Fullscreen and see what happen...

What is your usual resolution to play your other games?

So no that didnt make any difference, black screen with blindly clickable buttons

Yes, tried complete reinstall, didnt help, but ModDev works for some reason

tried to copy config.ini from mod dev, didnt help

I had the same issue with my 970. It happened after I made changes with Nvidia Inspector, and installed SweetFX. Removed SweetFX with no luck. Then reverted back to original settings with Nvidia Inspector, and it worked again. Not sure if you're running Nvidia Inspector, but it doesn't seem to like rF2 with these new cards. :/

I have now the GTX970 and I'm not using NV Inspector for months. So far no problem.

I have a gtx 970 and also nvidia inspector, I've been having issues with shadows

i get the black screen to with my gtx 680 i think its a ISI problem not a gfx problem. i just wait and it all comes good, if not crtl +alt+delete and then cancel that and it sometimes comes up quicker dont know why.

After installing the newest 347.09 drivers and restarting PC it appears to be working just as it should,

Thanks everybody who tried to help, i really apriciate it

Back