New hard drive, but graphics performance now terrible...(?)

65GTO

I've recently had the hard drive replaced on my pc with a brand new one (old one failed about 3 months ago). The work was done by a reputable local pc centre and as part of the deal they installed all the latest drivers, Windows 7 (64bit) etc...

The graphics card is the same GeForce GTX 6400 as before, but with the new hard drive the graphics are pretty horrible compared to how it performed with the old hard drive. Also, even though the only job the PC has is to run RF, when there are other cars on track it's like watching time-lapse! It's so slow... When you're out on your own it runs smoothly, but everything is fuzzy and curved outlines are represented as a series over overlapping straight lines.

I called the PC place and they talked me through checking dx.diag and seeing that everything was enabled (it was). The only other thing they could think of was that my old version of Windows 7 was 32bit, and that with the 64bit version now on there I need more memory (?)

I've also tried using both of the outputs from the card for the monitor, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Should it have?

Grateful for any help :)

Sincere apologies...

No idea how I posted this question twice :/

Can I delete this thread? I can't see an option to remove it. Mods, if you can remove this thread (just the one should do it :)) please feel free.

It sounds like something isn't right within windows. Check your graphics driver is up to date . If you can I would also check that all the drivers for your motherboard are up to date too, even though they said they did it..

I don't know if 4 gigs of RAM is enough . If it's a clean install and you only have rfactor installed ,it should be , but if it starts paging to the Hard drive it won't be ideal. Try turning off replay recording in RF2 if it does.

You could try turning down the windows bits n bobs. Start > Computer > System Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance and set to adjust for best performance.

Nice one Kaptain! Thanks for the tips. I've updated the driver for the card, and it looks better than it did, but it's still very fuzzy. I'll try and unburden Windows a bit and turn off the replay recording and see what's what.

Thanks again.

Sometimes it helps to do it the opposite way.
What i mean is, to install an older driver of your card. Maybe you know which driver-version you've used before?

I don't know how Nvidia supports older games in newer driver-versions.
I have an AMD-card and with the newer drivers some older games don't work anymore.

And maybe you can install the latest directX9 version over the existing from windows.
That sounds a bit stupid, i know, but ......who knows.

Thanks redapg. I've installed the latest directx as well as the tips that kaptainkremmen advised. It's slightly better, but still way off how it ran before. I still can't put other cars on track...

Might there be anything in the assertion that I was on 32bit Windows before, and that the 64bit version is clogging things up?

Thanks redapg. I've installed the latest directx as well as the tips that kaptainkremmen advised. It's slightly better, but still way off how it ran before. I still can't put other cars on track...

Might there be anything in the assertion that I was on 32bit Windows before, and that the 64bit version is clogging things up?
64bit version of Windows should be better, not worse. As above, I can only assume something is different either in Windows, or maybe you didn't run rfconfig?

..... my old version of Windows 7 was 32bit, and that with the 64bit version now on there I need more memory (?)...

Microsoft says that Windows7 requires not much RAM, look HERE
But i think 4 GB Ram should be minimum.

Did you try to set the graphic quality in game to the lowest level?
Did you try playing around with the compatibility-mode?
If yes, did it change anything?
Do you have a dual- or quad-core processor? Then you could try to add +fullproc in the target-line of the shortcut with that you start the game.

But all in all it sounds as if the trouble is caused by the graphic card or the driver.
Do you have the possibility to try out another card?

Back