new nVidia drivers causing slowdowns for anyone?

MarcG

Hi all, got a 9600GT and ever since nCidia went upto the 280 series of drivers rFactor has become a lot slower than the framerates suggest. I'm not experiencing low FPS in the replays (that I never had before) and in game racing the screen appears to jerk abit even though the FPS remains the same as it was before this happened.
Anyone else experiencing similar?

I'm gonna try a driver rollback and see if that helps.

Last edited:
My experience over the years (4 VGA cards), 2 nVidia and 2 ATI for rFactor has always been better ... With the 2 nvidia always confront problems in rFactor.

At present I have nVidia GeForce GTX 470, my worst buy :) in more than 12 years that I use for gaming PC. Nvidia does NOT recommend anyone to rFactor

My recommendation is to install an older driver that supports your VGA hey always work better in older games

GOOD LUCK

I had to go back to the previous version, last Nvidia drivers has screwed my FPS (480 GTX) with a lot of sttuters, shame on developers.

Wow that was lucky! I just downloaded the latest driver today but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I want now.

Yeah Nodo I've read a lot of people saying the ATi cards are better then iNidia with rFactor.

Wow that was lucky! I just downloaded the latest driver today but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I want now.

Yeah Nodo I've read a lot of people saying the ATi cards are better then iNidia with rFactor.

That's right. and it is my experience. ATI is better for rFactor

In terms of fps - no. The difference is so big, you get a lot more fps on GTX 460 than on HD5850 :) Also, on some tracks, even having 100-200 fps I feel very slight stuttering. I never had that on nVidia cards... but on the other side, there were and still are some issues with recent nVidia drivers so in the end, Ati might be better (but keep in mind it will be much slower) but there is no definitive answer for that.

We were,t saying that nVidia cards are "bad". Well I wasn't. The cards works really well with other games but they just seam to be forgetting rFactor when they release new drivers. The newer the driver the worst it seams to get. I guess it's understandable seeing everything else has moved on with the graphic engine when rF hasn't as yet. Soon we hope hey. haha.....

before this I had no problems since woning my 9600GT, I went back to 275 drivers but its still the same issue. No time to figure out the cause now (already tried disabling AV), might have a bash and go back to 270 drivers or somewhere next week.

I've been having a fair bit of trouble :mad:

Been getting some stuttering and jerkiness lately with some mods & tracks, been blaming the tracks

Then I noticed stuttering even on tracks & mods I've had no troubles on before.. I tend to update my nvidia drivers regularly :rolleyes:

After much stuffing around, and a bunch of testing, including stopping all unneccessary services in the background to make sure its not a background thing causing me issues - the way I've managed to get back to smooth gameplay & get rid of the stuttering/jerkiness on even the worst tracks & mods is by going right back to 197.45 release drivers..

I dunno what nvidia are doing with the 2xx series drivers but they aren't good for me :mad:

Thought I'd post in case others are having similar issues - try going right back to 197.45 :cool:

Basic Specs
Win7 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte GTX 275
Gigabyte P55 UD4P
Intel I5 750, 8GB Mem, 1TB HDD

EDIT: Frame rates are "OK" with 2xx series drivers, at least 60fps at the lowest point and generally running much higher (often well over 200fps) and the fps i similar with the 197.45 drivers so it's not a performance issue I'm seeing with the 2xx series, it's a straight up jerkiness/stuttering issue that isn;t there with 197.45

Last edited:
Have in the past.. didn't do much on my system so don't use it

While I was searching for a fix for my Stuttering problem I came across multiple reports of Wombats DLL causing issues with the later nvidia drivers. I know the wombat DLL helps a lot of guys, but it's a pretty old DLL now...

My problem with 2xx drivers isn't FPS.. I was getting un-drivable jerkiness/stuttering going on at some tracks & mods even at 250fps with release 280.26 :mad:, but just by going back to release 197.45 with no other changes it all runs smooth.

Hi guys. I hope someone has a solution. I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800GT Graphics card. I feel like it's a great card and works well. I get 200 fps in rFactor. However, on and off I my computer has frozen several times since I've had it. And it's even done it when not in the game, and an error message came up after it finally released itself and said the display driver failed.

I've updated all drivers, even on the motherboard. I'm wondering what actually is doing this. My computer or game isn't slow ever, but sometimes it locks up for several seconds or more. I want to narrow down the options that it could be. I'm not sure what model my Asus motherboard is, but could there be some glitch between the board and the card? It's PCI slot. I'm pretty sure it's not overheating. I just don't know if some of my computer settings aren't right or what. Would resolution affect? What's weird is that it locks up sometimes while Internet browsing too. Help would be great. I'd rather not purchase another card.

Joseph

Probably start with checking your memory stability? I had intermittent issues with a new PC once, ran Memtest for hours and it found nothing, then tried the Win7 memory diagnostic thingy and within 10 seconds it found a problem... backed off the bus 1 notch and been stable ever since.

If windows itself is locking, it would seem less likely to be GPU related. Of course it could also be some software screwing up, in which case the easiest solution might be a reinstall :) (if you can create a second partition and throw a fresh install on to test, that might be an idea)

For what it's worth, the other day I noticed that the Shadows setting in rFactor has a much bigger impact on FPS than I can remember with older drivers and older hardware. Running shadows on Max made my box drop from well over 60 FPS down to 12 (!) when watching a start sequence from a replay. The odd thing is that I cannot spot any differences when shadows are on Max compared to when they are on High. Anyone know what the actual difference between Max and High is?

Try the 285.79 Beta drivers...
I was getting the studders and the occasional BSOD with the "new" drivers on my 9800 GTX+ BE card. I read somewhere on the Nvidia forums that the 285.79 Beta driver fixed it..
It worked for me. Also do a "Clean" install and DO NOT install the 3D drivers. They are supposed to cause a conflict with the older cards.

Back