new to rFactor, post-processing effect

cyrfer

I would like to make an artistic combination of the rFactor scene with imagery I pull in at different times. I would like to feed the rFactor scene to an HLSL shader as a texture, and mix the images in the shader. Does RF1 have the hooks for me to do this? Also, is it possible to modify the entire environment, not just cars? If not, is it possible in RF2?

Thanks for any help!

About that shader thing,- no clue (what you mean).
You can mod more or less everything in RF1 (and 2)!

@peterchen Thanks for confirming the mod capabilities. I'd love to use code to modify pretty much everything in the environment, and use code to add some new rendering effects. Shaders are the way to customize what the graphics card (GPU) is doing. HLSL is the Shading Language for Direct3D. I understand RF1 and RF2 use Direct3D 9.0c, so a rich set of shader features should be available.

My plan now is to work with RF1.

I don't see much documentation about code plugins online. Perhaps I need to download the toolkits.

@peterchen Thanks for confirming the mod capabilities. I'd love to use code to modify pretty much everything in the environment, and use code to add some new rendering effects. Shaders are the way to customize what the graphics card (GPU) is doing. HLSL is the Shading Language for Direct3D. I understand RF1 and RF2 use Direct3D 9.0c, so a rich set of shader features should be available.

My plan now is to work with RF1.

I don't see much documentation about code plugins online. Perhaps I need to download the toolkits.

Ok. I will need to learn what are the hooks for changing the code. 'Shaders' are code that customizes different stages of the graphics rendering pipeline. I see that Direct3D 9c is the driver model used by the RF1 and RF2 so there are some great possibilities for graphics enhancements. I will download the SDK to see if I can learn more.

There have been several people who have written their own shaders for rFactor. I don't have a list of references for you, but if you search around I am sure you will find some examples.

Back