No 5.1 optical or coax

Kek700

I have tried everything, just cannot get 5.1 digital from my PC. i7 , Windows 7 (64 bit), 2 sound cards and realtek on board sound.
As i have just started to use rfactor2 instead of rfactor1 so i am now looking to run 5.1 surround sound.
It will give 5.1 analogue from one of the sound cards but if i try and supply my surround amp via S/PDIF or OPTICAL link, It will only supply 2 channel stereo. If my amp could be supplied with 5 channel analog it would be no problem. I have even run HDMI via the surround sound amp, still only 2 channel stereo.
I would like to know if i have missed something obvious. I usually do !, or do i give up.
To me it looks like some sort of software problem, one of the sound card dxg Xoner this should be capable of providing optical dig signals, as to the P8p67 pro mother board.
Some help would be most welcome.
Cheers.

You say 2 sound cards and realtek on board sound, could you be more specific?

I have an old SoundBlaster X'Treme Gamer xIfi for sound with Analog and Optical output. I use the 5.1 analog output for my headset, and I have 5.1 exiting by optical to an amplifier for 5.1 speakers. That's possible because I bought a small package from Creative called "Dolby Digital Live Pack " which cost me US$5.65. This feature is also available for free on some SB card. This feature convert on the fly the analog output of any application, games included, to the optical output as Dolby or DTS (I have the choice and I choose DTS).

Saying that, my onboard realtek have also this feature to convert on the fly analog output to the digital output of the realtek soundcard. I prefer to use my SB Card as mainly sound are better, and my onboard realtek is used for another thing (Buttkicker 2) which don't need sound quality.

So mainly: no games use optical output AFAIK, so you need to find a way to convert analog output to optical output, and this is done by Creative on some sound board card. Mine didn't have this feature as standard so that's why I had to buy this extra package.

I have tried everything, just cannot get 5.1 digital from my PC. i7 , Windows 7 (64 bit), 2 sound cards and realtek on board sound.
As i have just started to use rfactor2 instead of rfactor1 so i am now looking to run 5.1 surround sound.
It will give 5.1 analogue from one of the sound cards but if i try and supply my surround amp via S/PDIF or OPTICAL link, It will only supply 2 channel stereo. If my amp could be supplied with 5 channel analog it would be no problem. I have even run HDMI via the surround sound amp, still only 2 channel stereo.
I would like to know if i have missed something obvious. I usually do !, or do i give up.
To me it looks like some sort of software problem, one of the sound card dxg Xoner this should be capable of providing optical dig signals, as to the P8p67 pro mother board.
Some help would be most welcome.
Cheers.

Is it PCM 2 channel? Maybe your amp indicates this?

As stated above, rf2 doesn't natively output DolbyD encoded digital. Something has to encode the directx sorround to Dolby digital or dts. That is if rf2 supports normal surround ( think it does )

If you want to know if this works then play a DVD with appropriate software to see if you can get that to work. That has the encoded signal and will be easier to get things working ( in theory ) that then confirms it is possible and the likely cause is that rf2 simply doesn't output Dolby D natively.

Using the live type plugin as above will get round this. Although, also make sure the digital frequency is set to a level the amp understands.

A common mistake is to ramp up the signal frequency for the digital signal itself 96khz... Doesn't work like that if the amp can't decode it though.

So make sure that is on a setting you amp understands usually 48khz :)

But rf2 doesn't out put Dolby digital, so you will need some sort of conversion. Aka live Dolby D

Thank you both for a very clear explanation.

Just got some software (Realtek) from the internet and now have all 5 speakers working
Still some problems to sort but i am now on the right track.
I will see if there is a better piece of software on the market to refine what i have done.

Probably would not have done it so easily without your explanation.

Does any one know of a generic freeware software that converts to serial data and allows each speaker To be checked, with the Realtek software i am using now it will not test each speaker
In coax or optical, but does with analogue output 5.1
Cheers. :)))

Back