No sound with some cars and off-centre steering wheel

65GTO

Hi all,

First of all, please accept my apologies if what I'm covering here has already been addressed elsewhere. I've tried to look but can't see if or where these issues have been dealt with on the forum. If they have, I'd really appreciate a link.

I have acquired another PC today which is far more suitable than my last one (spec is on my profile). I've been given an incredible amout of help by hammad800 (the only thing missing off this guy is a cape...) via Teamviewer, but now that I'm 'in' the game on my new PC there are a couple of issues.

1) On the 1979 GP mod there is no engine sound. The car operates in complete silence, but if you slam it into a wall the sound of the impact is there...and I can even hear the sound of the engine for a second or two...then it disappears. All other mods I've looked at have full engine sounds.

2) The steering wheel for some reason doesn't line-up with the one on the screen - If I hold my wheel dead-ahead the wheel on the car is pointing slightly to the right. I've looked for a 'calibrate' section but can't seem to find it.

Any advice with those two points would be a great help.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
UPDATE - have discovered a post where another member was experiencing zero sound, and they talked about files being in the wrong place and having to move them manually.

Sadly I don't have a sufficient grasp yet of the game to start doing this, is there any chance that someone would explain what need moving to where please?

FURTHER UPDATE - I've played the game today for the first time with the volume cranked up, and the problem is worse than I thought.

If I select a mod through 'all cars and tracks' then I get some engine sound - even though there was none selecing the car the normal way (?). However, I now think that with every mod there is a general sound issue. Even if the mod seems to have its full engine sound, there is always another background noise.....which I'd describe as 'digital interference' - lots of faint digital bleeping and tweeting noises.

Hope this helps someone come up with a solution, because apart from the steering wheel not being straight (which for now I can live with) everything else is magic with the 'new' PC.

It's like passing my driving test all over again :)

To be honest I would do a reinstall. On the whole apart from the Clio's with their well documented distortion problem that will be solved when ISI do an update to that Mod, all the other cars are fine. Are you sure you have all the base content installed with no asterisks showing on any of them in Mod Manager?

Hi Knight. Thanks for replying.

The thing is......this is a reinstall! It was done by a member remoteley over Teamviewer who used somethign called bockbierbude for all the downloading so I wouldn't know about the asterisks. What is Mod Manager by the way? Is there anywhere I can check to see if the base content is ok?

Right click on your rF2 short cut and select "Open File Location"...Installing anything other than ISI base content could be detrimental to your health :)

I say that because there is no guarantee it won't mess something up, follow those back instructions to the letter.

Oh...what wheel do you have?

Last edited:
Right click on your rF2 short cut and select "Open File Location"...Installing anything other than ISI base content could be detrimental to your health :)

I say that because there is no guarantee it won't mess something up, follow those back instructions to the letter.

Oh...what wheel do you have?

I'll leave it until I can do another remote session - I have history of putting stuff in the wrong places!

My wheel is the basic Fanatec Porsche Carrera...

Okay no worries, have you calibrated the wheel to centre? Seems to me it may be off, and that is why why does not match the wheel on screen, I have the Fanatec Elite so am not sure which buttons you use on the Porsche wheel.

Okay no worries, have you calibrated the wheel to centre? Seems to me it may be off, and that is why why does not match the wheel on screen, I have the Fanatec Elite so am not sure which buttons you use on the Porsche wheel.

The wheel was fine on my last intall, but suddenly it wants to point to the right. I don't know where the calibration is done - but for some reason I thought it was done in-game (??).

No, like I said just right click on the rF2 shortcut and select file location and it will open the rF2 root folder, it's call rFactor2 and will be in your programs (x86) directory...if you have done the standard install.

You centre the wheel before pressing the PC connect button, should find how to do that in your wheel instructions, might be worth a try. You could pull up the fanatec wheel properties program to check it centred correctly.

No, like I said just right click on the rF2 shortcut and select file location and it will open the rF2 root folder, it's call rFactor2 and will be in your programs (x86) directory...if you have done the standard install.

You centre the wheel before pressing the PC connect button, should find how to do that in your wheel instructions, might be worth a try. You could pull up the fanatec wheel properties program to check it centred correctly.

This is the rFactor forum and he's asking about rFactor, NOT rFactor 2 :)

LOL Dammit, I didn't spot that...careless of me. That is what comes of just hitting the show new posts button... Sooooo right click on the short cut that you use to fire up the Legends Leagues Mod and select open file location, and that is the root folder. Same meat different gravy :)

LOL Dammit, I didn't spot that...careless of me. That is what comes of just hitting the show new posts button... Sooooo right click on the short cut that you use to fire up the Legends Leagues Mod and select open file location, and that is the root folder. Same meat different gravy :)

Haha, no worries!

What is the Legends Leagues Mod?

The link i posted.....:)

Ok, easyer way:
backup your rfactor/gamedata/sounds folder (just incase)

save the file i provided above in a temp folder on your desktop, unzip it, copy the 2 files, goto your rfactor folder, place them inside the rfactor folder, run the batch.
check yer game

The link i posted.....:)

Ok, easyer way:
backup your rfactor/gamedata/sounds folder (just incase)

save the file i provided above in a temp folder on your desktop, unzip it, copy the 2 files, goto your rfactor folder, place them inside the rfactor folder, run the batch.
check yer game

Ah I see! Does it in fact clear up all the sound issues - or only '79 mod?

Oh and where is the 'backup' option. Do I need an extra disc to do this?

Heh, you really are at computer 101 aren't you, no worries we were all there once. By back up he means copy that folder and save it in a safe place.

So step one, right click on the desktop and select "New" from the drop down menu, you will then see a sub menu, select "Folder" You will now have a new folder on your desktop called New Folder, the text will be highlighted in blue and the next thing you do is type Back up and hit enter. You now have a folder called back up.

Step two...to copy any folder or file right click on the folder or file and select copy, then open your new Backup folder and right click inside it and select paste. You will now have a copy of whatever you copied in that folder. In this instance rfactor/gamedata/sounds folder

You can rename your backup folder to something less generic if you wish by right clicking on it and selecting rename. You can also put that folder into your my documents folder by just dragging it into it.

Do this and you have backed up your rfactor/gamedata/sounds folder

Ah I see! Does it in fact clear up all the sound issues - or only '79 mod?

This is only for the GP79 mod but i suspect the no-sound issue is there because of the GP79 mod.
You have more sound issues then?

This is only for the GP79 mod but i suspect the no-sound issue is there because of the GP79 mod.
You have more sound issues then?

Yes, I'd say that around half of the mods have either bad sound or no sound. I have a lot of work on today, but this evening I will do my very best to follow all the instructions I've been given and fix the '79 mod sound. Hopefully this will help :)

I have noticed one interesting thing which is that although the problem affects lots of mods, it seems to affect ALL of the single seaters (??)

Oh, your first post only stated you had sound issues with GP79, which is a common issue, so i was able to give you a quick fix.

If its many mods then the problem is much bigger then just GP79.

A normal rfactor install should not have sound issues at all.
Do you have the full sim installed or the Lite version?

Oh, your first post only stated you had sound issues with GP79, which is a common issue, so i was able to give you a quick fix.

If its many mods then the problem is much bigger then just GP79.

A normal rfactor install should not have sound issues at all.
Do you have the full sim installed or the Lite version?

Sorry - yes at the time the '79 mod was the only one I'd found with an issue, but since then the problem is worse than I thought. There is no sound in ANY of the replays (just a faint bleeping and tweeting sound) even if there is sound when you're driving the car. The more mods I play with, the higher the proportion with a sound issue. Very odd....

Oh and I have the full version installed.

Last edited:
I'm no expert mind you but that does not sound like an rfactor problem per se, but a pc problem.
Do you have sound issues with other stuff? prefferably games etc.

Could be your soundcard or the onboard sound chip. but then again, its just guessing.

Back